1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tone Pot Sizes

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Warfender, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    I have a Squire I'm going to replace the tone pot on as it seems to have an issue that when rolled all the off that it intermittenly will crackle and cound like it is wide open for a second and then go back.

Anyway, I went to local store and got a 500K ALL Parts replacement and it is too large to fit in the hole. Did they give me the wrong one or are different brands different sizes? Is a Fender Original Parts replacement 500k suck as on ebay a standard SMALL size for both guitar and bass?

2. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    There are different sizes. And there are different shaft sizes too.

3. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Squier basses & guitars use smaller pots. It would be best to enlarge the holes in your pickguard so you can use standard size pots. Typically Fender P and Jazz basses use 250k pots for volume and tone but there's nothing wrong with using 500k. Just expect the sound to be slightly brighter and the taper of the pot to be less even.

4. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    don't forget the linear/audio debate, guys.

also, OP you could try cleaning the dodgy pot with deoxit or servisol

5. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    I tried that by spraying some into the hole in the bottom of the pot by the soldier connections. The pickguard whasn't the problem at least I didn't even get that far because the pot diameter was larger than the wood routed hole and wouln't drop down in.

@ Testing
    As for the 250K pot, It looks like this one says 500K (all 3 aculay) and is soldered over it some. The guitar shop said it should be 500K but I thought 250K was the norm.

I would like to get EXACTLY what is in there if possible as a replacement since I love the tonal sweep (not sure what it is linear, etc) but get dark or bright depending.

Thanks for your input.

6. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    If the pot has an A on it then it is log, B it is linear.

7. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    Thx. I'll take a look.

8. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    just watch on here or Ebay for a set of pots for your model Squier ... they are very inexpensive, and readily available as many are changing them out ... otherwise, you will need to route ... there is a good chance that your vol pots may go bad anyhow down the road ...

BTW, with the larger shaft pots, you will also need new knobs .. your Squier uses what is called a split splined shaft, with push on knobs ... what is stock on Fenders are solid shaft pots, which used knobs with set screws ...