Tone pots have no effect (Rickenbacker)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rickwick7600, Feb 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hello everyone. So I just installed my wiring harness in my Rickenbacker 4001, and for some reason my tone pots are having no effect. I know all my soldering joints are good, so I'm kinda at a loss. I was thinking that maybe when I'm pushing and affixing my pickguard the caps' leads are somehow touching the back of the pot, but I put shrink tubing on them so I'm not sure how that would happen. Could this originate from the pickups by chance? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

2. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Unless you damaged the pots during soldering, the next thing to do is double/triple check your wiring.

EDIT: I didn't post an image. There must have been a deleted post after mine.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Rickenbacker have these strange schematics, and TBH I don't agree with them:

http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/19557.pdf

This is how a treble cut (tones) pot should be wired, to avoid using shrink tubing:

upload_2018-2-4_16-42-48.png

4. Thanks. What you're showing me there is a bit confusing to me. The caps are wired to an outside lug to the pickup switch, but I should ground the cap instead of running it to the switch? I don't think I've ever seen that done with Rics before. The only alternative wiring I've seen is shown on the seymour duncan schematic.

5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I don't agree with the S.D. drawing either:

Rick_Standard.jpg

It's just bad practice to put a capacitor between two pots.

Soldering the cap between ground & the pot wiper just moves it to the other side of the resistance, but should not change the sound.

Crater likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021