tone pots

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Feb 15, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    A few weeks ago, I jumped on the bandwagon and bought a MIM jazz. Today I jumped on another bandwagon and bought a DPDT switch and wired it up to switch between series and parralell(sp?)

However i have a problem.....the switch wont fit on the control plate. meaning....i need a push pull pot.

my local guitar shop only has a 500k log pots. I know that you are meant to use 250k ones. the one i have know is 250k.

The guy at the shop said the XXXk and the log or lin just changes how the tone changes. like the curve of a graph.

will it make a huge differance if i get a 500k pot instead of 250?
  2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    500K log will be fine for a tone control.
  3. jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    The pot value does affect the frequency rolloff point of the tone circuit. Adding a 500K versus 250K pot raises the frequency at which the highs begin to be cut. The change will be noticable but but may not be a big issue for you depending on how much you use the control.

Allparts makes a 250K mini pot with DPDT switch (which we carry) that might work for you if you have time to wait for shipping.
  4. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

unless I've got my wires crossed a log is an audio so no issue there. The 500K will be a little brighter, whether you can tell that or not is another issue. It may in fact be preferable to you depending on your taste/needs. You may also get a little more noise out it due to the higher frequency depending.

It doesn't hurt to have an extra pot laying about or to do a little exploration so you might try them both.
  5. DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    The difference between a 250K tone pot and a 500K tone pot with a 0.047uF capacitor is negligible when the pots are wide open (tone at its brightest). The same is not true with volume pots. The biggest difference you may notice is how far you have to turn the pot to get the desired effect.