Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tone preference

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, Aug 31, 2003.

1. Crunchy in your ear bass sound

65 vote(s)
    29.7%
  2. Full blooming low end moves your clothes...

115 vote(s)
    52.5%
  3. here's a carrot for you...

39 vote(s)
    17.8%
  1. Which of these two types of sounds do you prefer, just sheer curiosity..

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full blooming low end for me.

(what is it with this place and involving carrots in polls?)

3. What is crunchy?

Geoff

4. A good bright ringing overtone, but still gets the bowells going.

5. I'm kinda in a debate with myself right now to see if I like a more hi-fi tone or a more classic P or J bass tone.

6. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    A little of column A, a little of column B.

I voted full and bloomiog low end, which I like more, but both are so subjective, and both are good in different situations, and and and.....

7. I agree with you Nick Gann...each has its moments, but I was wondering what sound gets someone's butterflies in their stomach going, you know, orgasmic tone, the one that hits the spot ;)

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Actually...the word carrot...that word describes how I like my tone.

9. well i guess it depends on the situation

in the marching band since im playing a tuba part i want it to sound like a tuba, not a trumpet so i turn the bass up a little and the mids all the way down and keep my tone knob all the way down and highs flat.

for regular rock type stuff i do the same, though i turn the mids to 9 o clock.

in jazz band i keep the mids flat and turn the bass up a little, tone knob stays on 0 and highs stay flat as usual.

for slap i keep everything flat but turn mids down a little and my tone knob goes up halfway :eek:

so i guess i like a good fat tone. i dont really like a lot of mids.

btw, i play a fender jazz bass through a fender bass man combo.

10. when I play/practice alone, I like having a full bottom end with reduced mids and not too much tone..I guess cuz of how powerful it can sound, but in a band situation, I like having it sound semi-trebly when you don't hear the guitar, but when the guitar is loud and distorted, you hear a nice bottom end on the bass..

11. I voted for crunchy... not that I don't like that rumbly bottom-end sound, but I like to make it apparent exactly what notes I'm hitting. I think people have a tendency to crank the low end and it's hard to distinguish the different notes. So I like crunchy. Not quite as crunchy as that Warwick sound the guy from 311 has though...

12. thats odd, i always thought of p-nut having a very bass heavy tone...

and 5stringsnme, you probably should have explained the two choices a little more. crunchy can be interpreted in so many ways.

13. I was hoping the "in your ears" and "moves your clothes" would help distinguish what I meant, since people perceive things differently...but I think you have an idea now as to what I mean.

14. ryuujin

ryuujin

Jun 1, 2003
    Delaware, OH
    I like it to shake shtuff but be clear not muddy. I don't want it to drown out the other instruments. I hate it when bands turn up the bass so much that it makes it impossible to hear anything but the bass which in turn ends up sounding like a constant hum.

15. I like a balanced overall tone. I really don't like strong mids; this makes a bass sound too guitar-like to me. Actually, I like the sound of an electic bass guitar when its tone is somewhat similar to an upright bass. An electric will never sound just like an upright, but, when it starts to get into upright territory, that's the sound I like.

The Jaco tone has its place, but, it's not the be all, end all tone for me.

Mike

16. I'll say carrots, because I like bass tones depending on the style of music being played.

17. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    I went the carrot route as well. Sometimes I like to blast through everything with a raunchy sound, and other times I like to just get under everything, all smooth-like. A Rickenbacker through an amp cranked to 10 doesn't sound quite right with mellow acoustic-oriented music. ;) ...or maybe it could...!

18. akuma12

akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    I'm still working on it but by far my prefered tone is a fat, hollow upright-bass sound. One day I will emulate my upright with an electric bass ;)

Jim

19. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I use two very different tones almost equally- a fat thumpy low end with a little bite (similar to a fretless jazz), and a more trebely piano-like tone that rings good adn clear, btu still has some thick punch. I like to tap quite a bit.

20. well, maybe... i don't listen to a whole lot of 311, but the bass tone in "creatures" is just too punchy/crunchy/shallow for me. Just a little though. Ok, so maybe tone is hard to describe in words, that's why we have music... crunchy could mean anything really. Oh well, now I'm just frustrated, but what's new.