Tone production?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by monsterweights, Nov 18, 2002.

1. I don't know if this is the right forum or not, but what is the formula to getting that "recording quality" sound? Is it in the EQ, the Bass, effects, or something else? I play a BB5gs, and it sounds nice, but it's nothing like that fat, clear sound that I hear on many of the CD's I listen to. Is there a aftermarket add-on that I can use to make the tone fuller, with getting the mud that happens when I turn up the bass on my EQ?
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    There is no substitute for a quality bass. That being said, there are many factors that go into your recorded sound.

First and foremost:

Your experience and technique as a studio player. I have worked with many outstanding live performers that sounded like cheese on tape. (This includes myself, although after a few dozen passes, I am getting better) It is a different beast altogether.

But a few others include:

Type of outboard preamp
    miced cab (and type of mic used) vs. DI or both
    Post-production EQ

I had a very good experience using a BBE Sonic Maximizer the last time I recorded in studio. It significantly improved the clarity and fullness without sounding over equalized.

On my latest project, I have used my Q5 into the POD Pro straight into the board for everything and have been EXTREMELY happy with the results.

But that is a very small part of the puzzle.

To answer your question, everything matters.