1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tone quest

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bearhart74, May 26, 2011.

1. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    ive got a 97 brubaker lexa 4 string with Duncan pre, Lane Poors, flame top, and wenge fingerboard. I love the tone, am guessing that 90% is the pickups, 5% is the fb wood, and the rest is various small factors. I want to get as close to that tone on my other bass (99 Modulus Genesis 5 maple fb, maple top, with the Audere 3zb with z mode). Any suggestions on pickups to put in? I am thinking that Aero j bass style might get me close or perhaps going for soap bar modification to a delano SBC series. Anyone familiar with LP tone can make reccomendation?

2. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    43 reads and not one suggestion? Dont make me beg

3. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    If you put the same pickups and pre in, you will get extremely close.

It's [DEL]hard[/DEL] impossible to make any sweeping generalizations about matching the tone of one of your instruments with another, given that we have no idea how you EQ either of them. If you've exhausted all EQing efforts, feel that you still can't get sufficiently close, and are dead set on matching them up, get another set of modulus pickups and an Audere pre and see what you can do. Or, even easier, sell the Brubaker and get a 4-string Modulus with the same pickups and preamp.

Also, FWIW, even though I'm not big on the tonewood concept, I can say that the body wood is considerably more influential than just the top wood.

4. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    I really do not love the Duncan Pre... think is very colored, crossover points are not where I like them.

as far as matching another instrument...very tough to say exactly. lots factors... starting with they way the wood resonates, types of wood used, quality of construction, etc.

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    No! How does each bass sound when not plugged in? I'd bet the Brubaker sounds very similar as heard amplified through the Lane Poors. Good pickups just make the sound of the bass louder, while accentuating certain areas of the tonal spectrum. Which Lane Poors does it have?

Pickups matter but the wood matters more. I have several basses I built with my own pickups in them, and they all sound different, even with the same pickups.

But you might get close enough. I say embrace the tone of each bass.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Agreed. I'd bet what the OP is hearing is a combination of the body, fingerboard and neck woods and the overall construction. The Lane Poors Kevin used back then were pretty transparent. I don't recall the Duncan pre adding alot of color.

The thin tops that Kevin uses don't seem to have much of an effect tonally. They're attached to a much larger piece of wood.