Tone question for Hanewinckel owners...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DLM, Apr 19, 2005.

1. DLM

May 25, 2004
    On my Pro Reactor 5, I have the standard Bartolini soapbars (with the neck pickup moved towards the bridge) and 3-band EQ. The bass has a maple neck with ebony fretboard and ash body with flame maple top.

The sound of this bass is quite smooth on top. I'm looking for a more aggressive, growly sound, overall, which goes beyond merely panning the pickup selector towards the bridge pickup.

What options do I have? Would getting jazz pickups get me there?
  2. DLM

May 25, 2004
  3. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Maybe some Nordstrand dual coils (check his pickups site)? Would probably be a little more growly than the Barts. His Fat Stacks (big single coils) would probably been even more growly. Might also consider the Dual Coils with a coil splitting option.
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yes, the Bart J's might do it and Pete has also been installing some very good Villex pups lately. However, the Villex is VERY clean and would probably not give you the growl if you're not able to achieve it with EQ/Pup selection now via the Bart 3-band. Best bet would be to call Pete and discuss what you're looking to accomplish. As you probably know, he's extremely knowledgeable and will likely come up with a good solution.

Good luck.