Tone question for Rick owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jongor, Oct 8, 2004.

1. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Of the two pickups in a Rick, which single pickup (maybe it's both together, I don't know) gives you the best Yes/Rush grinding tone?

I'm Gassing for a Rick and a P bass, and had this idea that I could build a Warmoth bass with both pickups to try and cop the tone of each, somewhat anyway.

Dumb idea?

Can't afford to buy both, but I'd like to!
  2. Cant comment on Rush...but all the pics i have ever Seen of Squire with his Rics he has both pickups on. (Toggle switch sitting in the middle position)
  3. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ricks have their own voice, as do P basses. You cant make one sound like the other. You can come close, But only a Rick sounds like a Rick. :meh:
  4. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Bridge pickup. Rawr.
  5. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    A lot of the tone of the Rick comes from its construction (maple neck-through-body and maple body wings, thinner-than-the-norm body thickness, laquered rosewood fretboard). I've tried different pickups in mine, and it always sounds like a Rick, with a little variation.

You can get other basses to sound "close enough" though with a little tweaking.

To answer your question, the bridge pickup has more of the growl and snarl in my experience. Geddy and Chris run/ran their Ricks in stereo most, if not all, of the time. Neck pickup to one amp, bridge pickup to another. Geddy would record the neck pickup direct, and the bridge through an amp, and mix to suit taste.
  6. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I always play with both p/u's on and tone controls wide open. It always sounds like a RIC but to get the extra growl I just change my right hand technique to striking the strings more than plucking them and that gives me all of the growl I need.

Like said above....alot of the tone is due to the construction and I also think the bridge is a large part of it. You could always get a Bass Pod and probably get "close enough".

If I had to chose a p/u for the RIC tone, I'd get the toaster (vintage) version (neck position). You also might try getting Bartolini replacement p/u's for a RIC.....I have them in one of mine and love 'em.....great tone with a little less noise.