Tone Question : GK compared to TFunk

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LowDown Hal, Dec 28, 2007.

1. I'm shopping for my "first" head and cabinet. I've spent a little time with a GK1001 into a GK NEO 2x12 and liked it. Then I spent a little time with an SVT assortment. I have not A/B'ed them and it was days apart in totally different stores.

Recent threads here have me thinking I lust for a Thunderfunk. I'm pretty much a noob and at this point pretty much just play with myself in the garage, :smug: well you know what I mean :p
    It seems like the TFunk might be pricey for that??

Has anyone ever A/B'eb a GK and a TFunk ?

Also, anyone ever play a GK through a Schroeder 1212L, or 1210L ?

THANKS

2. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

LOL...There is an unwritten rule here on TB and you must never repeat this statement. Especially followed by winks and smileys.

:cool:

3. Although I did a search and it's not in the FAQ, that's probably one of the better rules. Thanks for cluing me in :D

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I'm currently using a GK 2001RB with a Schroeder 410R. Its an amazing setup for things like rock, funk, etc. Anywhere that could benefit from an aggressive tone. I would not use this setup for jazz.

Very loud and compact, but definitely not lightweight.

The TB'er 4Mal has a lot of experience with GK and Schroeder equipment, so hopefully he'll chime in for you.

5. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    IMO, there's really no comparison between the two. The GK is a pretty standard prodution amp, at a relatively good price.

The T-funk is pretty much a botique hand crafted amp made by a one-man show.

I will say this - I will never buy another head unless it's a better ThunderFunk than the one I use now.

The GK is a good amp, don't get me wrong, but the T-funk is in a much higher league. The GK is far more "sterile" sounding than the T-funk. The T-funk has a nice thick sound to it, but still has he clarity and control of a solid-state amp.

How's this:

The ThunderFunk has:

- One man customer service (Dave Funk)
    - Lighter
    - As loud, or louder
    - Easy EQ, Enhance and Timbre knobs (very cool knobs)
    - Switchable fan
    - Pre/Post DI (Depending on the model)
    - Switchable voltage (If you ever leave the country or something)

The GK has:

- Bi-amp capabilities
    - Cheaper price

All this is my opinion, but I think you'll find a lot of people who agree on this one.

6. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I'll start by saying that I'm a sold out TFunk user.

I purchasee a new GK RB1001 II about a year ago as a backup head. Very nice head for the money ($600 new shipped).
    The GK has a much different sound than the TFunk though. I thought that the GK had more of an open sound, especially in the low end. When I used it with my Berg HT-112 or Epi UL-112 it sounded just on the verge of breaking up when cranked fairly hard.
    The GK was also one of the few heads that I had to use the input PAD (active mode) to keep from overloading the input signal (with my Roscoe basses).
    The Thunderfunk is one of the few amps that I've played that just about refuses to break up. It has somewhat compressed sounding lows which really sound punchy with the kick drum.
    The TFunk IMO is also a much better plug and play amp. You can quickly fine tune your sound via the Timbre or enhance controls. I rarely use the EQ section on the TFunk (other than to solve acoustic problems in various venues).

The GK has a decent EQ section but it really took a lot more effort to dial in the sounds that I wanted.

Of course if you're not playing out much you may not want to much $$$'s into an amp and the used GK's go for about $400-500.

If it was me though, I'd keep my eyes open for a used TFB-420 or 550. It'll cost a little more but you'll never want for another amp!:smug:

7. +1 to all of the above.

I guess the only thing I would add is that I didn't find either the GK or the TF to be the best match with the smaller Schroeder cabs. If anything, I thought the GK (in my case, the 700) sounded a touch better, due to the slightly wider low end, and the little bit more upper mid grit and grind. For all other cabs, it would be the TF all the way.

8. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    No offense, but most amps have these features.

"Chopper 4! With a self-propelling propeller!"

9. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    No offense, but in regard to (perhaps) the most important, you're dead wrong.

The "one man service" and timbre control are huge features of this amp that you cannot appreciate until you've experienced both first-hand.

Yeah, I'm a TF endorser, and with good reason...I could spend less and use GK with decent to good results but they are not in the same league...

10. Actually, not really.

The TF is pretty much a one man operation.... when you call in, you talk to 'the guy'. Not many companies out there in the bass community. As much as I love my Markbass stuff, I've had a number of emails now totally ignored, both from the Markbass rep who is on TB, and from the company. This is not unusual. Dave is totally on top of customer questions, etc.

The Timbre knob is unique... never seen another one. The closest is the 'balance' control on the newer Walter Woods.

The TF has separate pre and post DI's.... again, I haven't seen that before.

The TF has a user switchable fan, versus either always on, or automatic speed adjustment, and it's designed to be used with the fan off unless completely pushed.. nice for the studio and very small gigs where even a quiet fan can be heard.

No big deal, and most of these features wouldn't 'change a players life', but they are unique, per the poster's comment IMO.

11. Frankie Fender

Frankie Fender The less notes you play, the more money you make. Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Not to be nit picky....BUT the "room balance" control on the Fender TBP-1 does much the same thing as the timbre knob.

from the manual:

Only place other than a TF where I have seen one, and the TF came first. (before the Fender that is) AMP > Gibson > TF

I wonder if Dave has a patent on that?

12. +1... and again, the Walter Woods 'balance' control is the same general design. However, three amps out of hundreds still makes it a relatively 'unique' feature.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021