Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tone Question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Seth Watters, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Seth Watters

Seth Watters

Feb 23, 2004
    Hey everyone, I'm new to the board, and I have a question involving tone. I've been looking for reasonably priced equipment to help me with tone lately, and I haven't had much luck finding the information I need. The tone I am looking for it a low, growling, punchy tone that can be compared with someone like Steffan Lessard from DMB or P-nut from 311. I am currently playing a Pedulla Rapture 4 with active Bartolini electronics through a Hartke 350 watt head going to a Hartke 215 XL cab. If anyone knows of any equipment or anything that could help me, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Seth

2. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    One word: lurk. Oh, and search. Better yet, lurkandsearch - that way it's still just one word!

:D ;)

3. Seth Watters

Seth Watters

Feb 23, 2004
    I'm confused... Define lurk.

4. Sounds to me like you're looking for the sound of a Warwick-type bass with Eden or SWR amplification. Use the search function and you'll probably be able to find many topics on the subject, especially, if you search for those particular bassists.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Don't know if you could try one out at no cost, but, in your shoes, I'd definitely try out a SansAmp Tech 21 Bass Driver.

Afterall, you have a wonderful bass and a decent amp.

That Tech 21 does wonders to your harmonic content.

It's the best $190 investment I ever made in tone and I won't play without it........and, in all modesty, I've been playing since the Beatles first showed up on "The Ed Sullivan Show."

6. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    While it might not be where you end up, since both of those players have played Warwick basses for the majority of their careers, as mentioned earler, it would probably be time well spent to try out some different Warwick basses. They're relatively easy to find these days...give a shot and then modify your research based on what you see/feel/hear.

7. Seth Watters

Seth Watters

Feb 23, 2004
    Yea, but the whole thing is I just spent a thousand dollars on a new bass, and I have spent a thousand and some odd dollars on my rig, and I am looking for additions, not new stuff.

8. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Well the real question is how to make the Barts sound like a Warwick. What about strings? Def go SS roundwounds. You need something to color your tone. Like Ricbass aisd maybe a Samsamp, MXR80, whats the other thing a Aphex?? But theres a lot of different boxes on the market. Take you axe in the store and try a bunch out. Goto "Effects" and do a search.

9. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Not to sound rude but, Why would you spend a Thousand Dollars on a bass you dont like the tone of? Did you buy it off Ebay or online somwhere? Or did you try it out first?

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Too broad for Basses. Off to Misc...

11. Seth Watters

Seth Watters

Feb 23, 2004
    You see, I love the way my bass sounds, I just feel like there is something that I need to add to make the sound perfect. This was the reason for this post. I'm not saying that my tone now is horrible. In fact, I think it's great. I just want to grab that extra bit of punch and I want to know how to do it.

12. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Maybe a cheap tube pre amp just to give it that clean boost.