Tone recipe? Marcus Miller's Red Baron...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gnobility, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Gnobility

Aug 13, 2003
    ..yowza! After watching The Victor Wooten Bass Day video my band has decided to cover Billy Cobham's "The Red Baron"

(on the Victa DVD he brought out Reggie & Oteil Burbridge for a smokin' cover of "The Red Baron")

At any rate, I went hunting for the original MP3 by Billy Cobham, but came upon Marcus Miller's's a RealPlayer snippet of Marcus (about a minute's worth): question: how do I get Marcus' tone? If it helps, I've got a Fender Jazz Bass Deluxe, a Pedulla Rapture, and an Ampeg SVP-Pro with a Lexicon MPX-100 (for reverb). Any tips on strings, pickup selection, EQ (especially) is appreciated.

2. jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    He uses his Jazz with both pickups full on (or just about). The particular Jazz he uses he most [I think] has a Sadowsky modified preamp in it also. Strings wise, DR Low Riders (well, he has his signature Fat Beams too).

edit: According to his website he uses very little eqing, but on his amps.. (EBS)

" Ilike that I can get my sound with almost no EQ. That way I can tailor my sound very easy when I come to different venues. I do like the midrange on the EBS. I like to boost the frequencies around 2-300 Hz, maybe 400 Hz sometimes. It makes a big difference when I'm playing with my fingers. "

Hope that helps a little bit.
  3. This is a good way to make you sound like Marcus:

A Jazzbass with a Maple fretboard.

A preamp. boost the bass a little more than the treble.
    (Marcus use Bartolini which was installed by R. Sadowsky.)

New strings.

A funky attitude:)

:bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
  4. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Ash body + Maple neck=Marcus!
  5. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +EBS, too... at least to make it easy. There's just something about the native tone in the EBS that I can really hear clearly in MM's tone. I have a nice GK, Eden, and an EBS, and they're all very different before you start tweaking the EQ's. Marcus even points this out specifically as earlier noted.