Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tone similar to metallica/machinehead

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by muzfuz, Nov 14, 2000.

1. muzfuz

muzfuz

Oct 2, 2000
    ok, so i got myself a new yamaha rbx76a, wich im running through my hartke 3500. is there any particular setting with the equalizers to closeley match that sound that bands like metallica's and machinehead's bassists produce... im getting closer, but i just cant figure it out... yea i get that whole hand and play style thing, but i know there has to be some way to get closer to that actual sound... maybe an equalizer setting (right now i basically keep the mids low)... theres gotta be something i can do?

2. I would like to find the answer to that as well. If anyone has the answer, post it! Hey why don't you try emailing a metallica site? or the band themselves? Although they may try and charge you. lolol NAPSTER!!! Arrgghhh

Merls

3. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    Hey guys, the mids are boosted most of the time for Jason. And the lows are usually half way or all the way boosted too. I know Jason usually uses a pick. anyway, if that helps, then your welcome!

4. Cheers, yeah lately Jason has been getting a "pop" to his bass, it was very pronounced in the "black" album. Although i don't have a graphic equaliser, i had one but the guy i am borrowing my amp off (yes i blew the other one up now i have to borrow until i can build one)took out the equaliser. bastard. lololol Is there anyway i can get a similiar sound just by mucking with the tones?

Merls

5. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    Well I dont know what a graphic equalizinatorthingy is cause i am a dope, but i do know that i can get his basic tone if i turn the midrange all the way up on my amp and my bass and the lows all the way down on the amp and all the way up on the bass. But on Reload he has a lot more lows than mids most of the time, (ie Devil's Dance- lows and mids all the way up and slightly distorted). But on tunes like Crash Course in Brain Surgery, the former application is the best. try it!