Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tone sucking boss

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nataku, Apr 25, 2005.

1. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    ive had a boss wah pedal for about a year, but i rarely use it at all in band situations because if i turn it off, but still run the bass through it, it completely sucks all the tone out of my bass. so every time i needed to turn it off, id have to unplug it midsong and plug into the amp, or majorly adjust some stuff on the bass and amp. when it was turned on, it sounded great though.

just recently musiciansfriend had a sale so i picked up a rocktek phaser and compressor for $8 each, figuring that theyd probably be crap, but fun to experiment with at home. after testing for a while, ive determined that these barely alter the tone at all, and i can actually make use of them at practice since turning them off doesnt screw everything up.

could something be wrong with my boss pedal? it seems like a pedal i spent $100 on should outperform some plastic $8 pedals i got online. maybe i just got lucky and happened to get great sounding cheapy pedals, but i doubt it. if any1 could shed some light on my situation, itd be greatly appreciated.

2. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    The boss probably doesn't have a true-bypass, the $8 ones might actually have that. Without a true bypass the is altered.

3. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    yeah ive heard of that but didnt know what it meant. but shouldnt a more expensive pedal from a well known company come with something like that?

4. Out of the $100, I wonder how much is spent on craftsmanship and how much goes towards name and profits though. There may be something wrong with it though. Is it a model you can find new at a store and play through to see if it's not just your pedal?

5. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    yeah thats a good idea, ill go play another one at the store where i got it.

6. Post the results here. I'm curious if it's messed up or if it's not allowing lower frequencies through.

7. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Here is a solution to your problem (of course it requires spending more money). Grab a true bypass pedal such as this:

http://www.indyguitarist.com/epidemic.htm

or a tonefactor mobius or something like that. what these pedals will do is take your tone sucking boss out of the chain by placing it inside a loop. you will leave the wah on all the time, and engage and disengage the true bypass loop. that way, when the loop is off, your signal passes right through unaffected.

the bonus of the epidemic pedal is that it can be a feedback loop too (which can be engaged separately). this will produce some strange sounds when there is a pedal such as a wah in its loop (if you want to use it for that function). i have one on order.

8. That is definately different. Are you going to post some clips when you get it?

9. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    of course. im having a custom graphic put on it, as well as a jack installed for an expression pedal so that i can switch between controlling the amount of feedback with the dial or the expression pedal.

who knows how it will really work with a bass signal... but for $90 US with the mods included i thought that it was too good not to try.

10. Only one way to come up with new anything. Push the barriers and keep an open mind!

11. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    yeah i just spent $400 on a used drum set (pearl exports w/ sabians, hell ya!), so i dont think ill be getting anything new anytime soon.

12. I'm right there with you. I just bought a dunlop 105q wah, an MXR M-80, and a small 3 channel Rolls mixer. I'm a little broke now too.

13. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    very true! unfortunately pushing barriers tends to require deep pockets!