TONE TEST-Identify this bass from the mp3!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Jan 26, 2002.

1. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I think it's a P-bass
  2. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    @#%& with that much processing it could be anything but I would vote for P bass with a pick.
  3. No clue. But I shure wish I could play that simple and still have a crowd cheer for me.
  4. HHmm, welp, I recoginize the song as "A Forest" by The Cure. Hard to tell what tour that clip was from, but I will wager a guess and say the bass is his Thunderbird.

FWIW, that's a great song and the last few seconds isn't indicative of the song. It wails!
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That is almost word for word the first thing I thought, too. It could be practically any bass (ok, maybe not an Ashbory ;)) through an effect with roundwounds and a pick. That's the "tone" I hear.
  6. JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Almost sounds like an eight string or a twelve,and I don't mean the JT Conklin type.Very twangy to my ears.But what do I know,I'm here to learn.
  7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    What tha! Sounds like it's being played with a pick and I hear a flanger in there too. I know what bass it isn't, it ain't one of mine. :D
  8. Midnight was close- it's a Gibson...

but it's a Gibson EB2 (twin-pickup version) - yep- semi-acoustic and short-scale!

it's surprising how different this bass can sound strung with roundwounds (Rotosound Swing bass in this case), compared with the thick, woolly tones associated with it in the 60's.

the flanger only comes in at the end.
    there might be a bit of distortion on the rest of the clip, but otherwise it's just the sound of the bass being played with a pick.
    the semi-acoustic body adds a "honk"-type element to the sound.

the clip's taken from The Cure's 1991 show at Wembley- "The Great British Music Weekend".
    you can see it in "The Cure Play Out" video.

in the 1992 "Show" video, Simon Gallup uses a long-scale semi-acoustic built by Dick Knight- a more crunchy sound than the Gibson.
  9. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    AdX: It sounds a bit like my Yamaha TRB.
  10. hmmm...a long-scale 2 pickup bass with roundwounds, played with a pick...

Spector NS?
  11. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Warwick then? One of the Streamer models, perhaps?
  12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Can anyone guess what bass is used in the mp3's at the site in my signature? Talk about being surprised!:D
  13. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    This is practically impossible to tell ? :confused: , for example can you figure out what bass I'm playing in my clip ;)
  14. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    You know, we could start a thread like this and some folks with a lot of basses (uh, like Brad?) could post an mp3 of a different bass every week (recorded direct with no effects or other coloration) and we could guess which bass it is.

:rolleyes: Ok, maybe I just have too much free time on my hands right now :rolleyes:

- Frank.
  15. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Do I have to fill out that crap every time I want to listen to someones music?
  16. Yay !

Warwick Streamer Stage II - 5 string

to be exact :D
  17. P.S. about the bass-guessing thingy..

I've got a fast server ( Dual p3-933 / 768 mb ram ) on a dedicated 10mbit line at Level-3 Hosting in Brussels.. So i'd be more than happy to supply the hosting for the mp3's :)