Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tone to compliment an acoustic set?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Jul 23, 2005.

1. I've been playing a lot of acoustic punk type songs and ballads with the guitar player. What kind of tone compliments an acoustic guitar? If its easier maybe I should ask what kind of tones should I avoid? Right now I'm just playing a Pstyle knock off. I'm thinking the neck pickup on a bongo would be nice, but does the bongo have a little too much punch and presence is what I'm worried about.

MIA P-Bass is probably the bass to suit I just have this grudge against fender.

So what tone should I be looking for?

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Take a p and roll back the tone knob....

3. A P is an excellent choice, but a J would do well, also. Just roll off the bridge pickup and tone knob a bit to get a nice fat sound. Not too much though, I'd still look for definition. Flatwounds would be a good choice but they may be too thumpy. I'd even suggest a fretless with the tone knob on full... bright but not punchy, just a clean high end you could say.

4. i think a p-bass rolled back sounds a tad sloppy. a jazz pup in teh bridge helps smooth out that chunky thump

5. A warwick thumb + acoustic - two great woody tones. listen to some early Dave Matthews Band stuff to hear what I'm talking about, it sounds fabulous.

6. so I should avoid humbuckers?

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I'd say no, personally. I can get a nice fat sound from my Spector which has dual EMG-Hz pups. I think any pickup combination will work, it's just mostly a matter of EQ, playing style and playing position. JMO.

-Ray

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    +1 I play mainly with acoustic instruments (although not punk) and this works very well for me. I also use flats FWIW.