Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tone to cut thru 2 Guitars?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lackey, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    What kinda setting do you guys recommend for audible bass when you're competing with Mesa rectifier stacks? I'm thinking dropping out the 400-1200 range and boosting the treble and bass would let me cut through a little better,, but I can't tell once I'm on stage what the sound is like.

I play fingerstyle on a jazz bass in a loud rock group BTW.

2. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Take a look at the discussion we've been having under "mesa amps a must"

3. Mids help cut through.
    Tell the guys with the little tiny instruments and the big amps to turn down some. It's called fitting into the mix.....It's what's up front that counts not what you hear on the stage.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yeah, the thing you need to adjust is your guitar players master volume knob.

i swear, i must know some of the coolest guitar players in the world. the guitar players i play with collectively own a Fender Champ, Fender Ultimate Chorus, Line 6 Ax212, Fender Twin Reverb, and the guy with the biggest one just sold his triple rec because it was "way too loud" - instead he got a rack system with the rectifier preamp and a stereo 50/50 tube poweramp.

5. agree with the frequency slotting comment - you gotta get those guys to play as part of a band. also boost your low mids - favor the bridge pickup on your jazz. if the guitar players are doing the scooped mid thing you would fit right in the center (newsted used to do that in metallica - look for the BP issue with him on the cover)