Tone trouble

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by a e i o u, Nov 9, 2003.

1. which do you think is more noticable tone wise, the amp or bass? My new amp sounds so eeehhh with my bass. But, my bass sounds terrible in almost all amps. i have a peavey fury and it is just total bleh. has anyone had problems with tone, but it was due to the bass? it is imposible to get a decent tone. i think i'd prefer a squire p bass.
  2. Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    From my experience, every bass has its own tone.. It is usually difficult (but not impossible) to colour your crappy sounding bass tone with an amp. So, if you don't like your bass's tone, you will need a good sounding preamp to make it sound good... and even then, the natural tone of your bass may still be noticable.

A few things can make this vary quit a bit. I know nothing about your bass so I am just going to be general...

If you have a passive bass, an active outboard preamp will probably help alot... If you have an active bass, and active o/b preamp will still help, but it wont be as noticable.. take a sansamp for example and use the blend knob all the way full, that would help the most.

Say you hate brightness and you have an ash/maple bass, try as hard as you want, it will still have that ash/maple sound (which I like BTW.)

Pickup placement can sometimes have more of an effect on your sound than the pickups themselves. This is pretty much impossible to get around because, obviously, you would have to move the pickups!

...anyways, I'm bored so I thought I would post, hopefully someone will post who has personaly experience with your bass (maybe change the tiltle to reflect the bass you are referring to)..

Anyways, parametric EQ's and good preamps are your best best as for colouring your tone (IMO)...

Whenever I look at buying a bass, I try to always plug it in directly through the effects return of the amp I am playing it through in the store, thus hearing what the bass sounds like all on its own.

Oh, and personally, I hate fiddling with knobs.. I would rather just like the tone of my bass and be able to not need any extra knobs on preamps to make it sound good.

I was for a while disappointed with my tone, and I was always fiddling with knobs, etc... one day, I plug my bass into the effects return of my amp (bypassing the amps preamp) and i was like "hey, that tone rocks!" ...that just showed me that I like my bass all by itself, I was making it sound worse with all these damn knobs!
  3. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Every bass does have it's own tone. They don't make them different just for the look.
    But I'd definitely have to say that the amp would be the deciding factor though. With good EQ.
  4. aeiou, how do you know it's the amp?

Have you tried. different strings, on your Peavey Fury bass?

I would consider my technique and strings and then pickups, before I would blame the amp for the tone problems.

Once I sus'd those things out then, I would consider getting another amp if I hadn't fixed the problem.