Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tone tweaks

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by old_skool, Aug 22, 2001.

1. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    im not 100% sure if this is in the right forum or not but here goes. i was wondering what settings you guys use to get particular bass tones. say you have everthing on your bass and amp set flat, what do you boost or cut to get certain tones. i know its important to develope your own tone but i want a place to start in finding MY tone. tones such as good slap tones, a good fat growling tone, jazz, metal, everything, anything you guys can think of. thanks.

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    You will find that different players use different methods to achieve the 'same' results.

I personally hear a slight difference between eq changes on the bass and the amp. It seems to be more distinct if you slightly overdrive the amp.

Having said that I tend to have the bass and amp almost flat most of the time. Where you play and how you play can radically alter the sound. Another thing that I have found is that you can cut treble instead of adding bass and get a bassy sound with more clarity and less woof (for want of a better word). This is not as obvious as it seems.

Try playing a variety of styles with no eq changes and see what it needs ie instead of diming the bass frequency controls for a reggae riff, play the riff and decide what is missing. I would wager that the tone shaping is less radical and sounds 'better'. It worked for me but maybe not for everyone else.

Hope this helps although I have not directly answered the question.

3. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    FWIW, from my SWR manual.
    Midrange is honky or hollow sounding?...cut 600-1000hz range.
    Treble is harsh or hurts the ear?...cut the 1.5K to 2.5K range.
    Have trouble cutting through the band?...Boost around 200hz.
    Need a little more punch?... boost around 100-120 hz.

Hope that helps.