1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Tone "volume" to change to which degree a tone knob cuts whatever frequency

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by timshacklock, Aug 19, 2016.

1. timshacklock

timshacklock

Aug 27, 2012
    Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else in the boiling pot of human knowledge but i just have no idea what to search for.

To my understanding (and please correct me if Im wrong) a traditional passive tone knob works by cutting frequencies at whatever level you set the tone knob at. This means that it is always cutting some frequency wherever you set it (cutting bass if its all the way "up" and cutting treble all the way "down" and cutting mids if you have it in the middle).

I was wondering if there was some way to have a pot that changed the degree to which the tone knob cuts whatever frequency you have the tone knob set at. Like a "volume" knob that only affects how much the tone knob cuts whatever frequency. So if you had the "tone volume" knob all the way up it would work just like a normal tone knob but as you roll it back it would make the actual tone knob cut a smaller amount of a certain frequency until when its on the lowest setting the tone knob would be cutting no frequencies at all.

Sorry if the way Ive explained this makes no sense at all or if its common knowledge around here.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

You've got it backwards.
    The cut frequency is set by the combination of the cap and the value of the pot.
    The knob adjusts the amount of cut above the set frequency.

In other words, a passive tone pot already works the way you'd want it to.

If you want to go further and change frequencies you need selectable caps like on a Tonestyler or an active semi parametric eq.

Mushroo likes this.
  3. timshacklock

timshacklock

Aug 27, 2012
    Oh ..... cool!

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 11, 2021