1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tone W/O Overkill

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 12055, Dec 10, 2006.

1. 12055

Nov 10, 2006
    So, I have this beautiful new bass, but its lovingly crafted African hardwood tones are stuck rattling out of a 60 watt behringer combo amp. When I got home from the store, I had a hard time believing I was playing the same bass when I plugged it in. I want a rig that will accurately reproduce the tones of my bass, but the largest gig I ever do is small coffee house style things (read 50-200 watts max), however, I'm willing to push this envalope to get a good sound. I know the 4x10's and 8x10's at the local guitar shop get the job done, and I know a big factor in that is the horn tweeter. I see that SWR makes combo amps (Super Redhead) that have more than enough mojo. Can they get the job done, or should I go straight for a cab/amp combo to get a good sound?

-Ross

2. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    You might try this.

If you ever need more volume, add a CX110 cab.

3. Ale

Ale

Jul 5, 2006
    Europe
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    The Redhead is also a amazing combo , so you should try that one , its pretty expensive , but it will handle almost any gig.
    Do you play with or without Pa ?

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    I think if you do a search on the CXC110, you will find a lot of very positive input.

It doesn't look like much, but it puts out some VERY good sound.

5. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    If you want the natural sound of your bass, what about a Phil Jones combo?

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    For combos with lots of power and transparency but also good tone-shaping, check out the Roland D-Bass 210 or D-115 (do a search, some info in a couple of fairly recent thread - or the Carvin combos - I think there's a current review thread on the 112 version. Both suggestions use neo speakers.