1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tone when playing with acoustic guitars?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tranceFusion, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Suggestions for nice tones that fit well with acoustic guitars?

I have been playing my ABG, but I just don't find it at fun to play as an electric..

2. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    Listen to The Final Countdown off of Europe's "Almost Unplugged" session. The MP3 I have of it sounds so much better, but you can see a video here:

The bass sounds great. Nice and low. In my opinion, it is the ideal bass tone for complimenting an acoustic guitar.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I've been using a J for the most part. passive, through a BDDI into the board, into a Mackie 450. I'm knocking the hi's back with the on-board tone control. I'm not 100% settled tonally but it's definately not a treble oriented sound. More low's and upper mids.

I chord and double stop a lot. I may try my E though C 5 string G&L this week. Probably I'll chicken out and just use the J though - lot'sa of new material every week so I'm reading over his shoulder and the J is so comfortable I just don't have to think about it. That C string is still a little intimidating ... was that a tenth ? nope - a 13th - well, that was un-expected :D

I'm not sold on the BDDI for this either. I have a BassBone and will probably try that instead soon.

Keep this thread rolling - sounds like we're both in the hunt for new ideas. I'm also down with dumpoing the ABG - I loved my old Tacoma at home - and thought it was worthless live. A really fun to play instrument-answer looking for a question...

4. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I would think a regular P-bass or Jazz with flats would compliment acoustics nicely.

5. Yeah I was definitely thinking a p-bass w/ flats with the tone rolled off..

I think I might try using my 55-02 and dumping the bridge pickup and treble for practice next week and see how that goes..

The ABG is fine for me screwing around, but I end up playing very conservative at the gig.. rather than working in some texture, I am just busy trying to make sure I don't make any extraneous unwanted noises.. Also, with 2 guitar players, it seems it is a little too much of the acoustic percussive noises and the 3 instruments don't stand apart enough.

6. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Use whatever tone you normally use and maybe just "take the edge off" whatever that means to you. I don't know why you wouldn't use whatever you think of as "your tone" no matter where you are playing.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Flatwound strings.

8. What if my tone is a G&L L-2500 w/ fresh SS rounds through a Bass Balls Pedal?? Do you still think that fits if I am doing an acoustic set at the coffee shop??

9. ric stave

ric stave

May 6, 2006
    Buffalo, NY
    That depends on how many people are drinking decaf.....

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

P bass with Chromes works best for me.

11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    P-bass.