Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mr.bassman, Nov 4, 2000.

1. mr.bassman

Oct 9, 2000
    I have been looking for a new bass for a long time.
    I am now trying to get as much information on tones of diffeerent woods, and also pickups.

Does any one know the tonal effects of mixing wood in a neck, like a five-piece neck? What is the difference in tone verses a single wood neck?

What are the best woods to use for a body, and neck?
    I know this is a personal opinion but I want some help in deciding which woods to use.

I am thinking of getting a custome built bass from warmoth.

I think that I might want a 5-piece neck; wenge with purple heart strips, and a bubinga fret-board. (5-sting)
    And maybe a wenge body.

what do you guy think of all this??????????
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Best body wood for a bass guitar in my opinion is alder. It's medium weight, and it seems to transmit all the characteristic bass guitar frequencies with ease. You can EQ alder to sound like the others. Ash comes in second; it's dense and bright sounding, best for a slapping bass. It also looks pretty if you stain the grain. It can get pretty heavy, though; swamp ash can be substitued if you want to loose some weight. Wenge, ovangkol and mahogany come in third; they tend to emphasize the midrange and are good if you're playing lots of finger funk. They can get *really* heavy, though, and have a woody timbre that may be a detriment in certain applications. Just my opinion.

As for necks, stiffness and stability are important to tone and sustain. Look for solid quartersawn maple, or flatsawn maple made of two or more pieces. The multi-ply necks look pretty, but I'm not entirely sure that they help stabilize the neck any more than two or more pieces of maple.

Bubinga is a great fretboard wood. Somewhat harder and brigther than rosewood, but with very nice figuring. If you can get it, go for it.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Every body wood has been mentioned there, except my favourite - Maple. I don't know much about the reasons why, but I know what I like. Over 20 years of trying out basses, I just know that the more maple in the bass, the more I like the tone. It just sounds better to me.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Me too, Bruce.

I like a really bright sound anyway(and maple boards as well of course!) and to me maple is the perfect combination of brightness, which I can tone down when I need to, but still warmer than really dense woods like bubinga, wenge and stuff like that.

I do know that while I can handle alder or ash, basswood is not a good bass wood(pun intended!;) ) IMHO.

Not a big fan of mahogony, either, although you rarely ever see a bass made of it.