1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tone Woods

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington [archive]' started by iwearpumas, Mar 13, 2013.

1. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    Hey Ant, i have a question about tone woods. Before I order a new bass, I do an intense research on woods to find a tone which I want to have, or to best find the tone that is in my head. What are your favorite tone woods for your basses? Like when you order your Foderas, do they all have the same tone woods?

2. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    I pretty much just use swamp ash for my 'main' basses. It has the snap that I like. And the weight is nice. But I suggest that you play as many basses as you can with as many wood combinations as possible. And play them acoustically as well as amplified with the EQ flat in the bass and the amp.

3. Toolmybass

Toolmybass Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Great White North
  4. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    In my opinion that wasn't a good sounding bass. It sounded like I was hearing electronics. I've played all of my basses 'flat' for so long that I can tell when I'm hearing the low end that is boosted 'electronically'. Same with the treble being boosted.

And I have basses with different woods but identical electronics that sound totally different. And those basses are played by the same player through the same amp.

And me and a lot of experience players can hear the difference between wood necks and fretboards and those made from composite materials.

For me the video merely showed that you can make a bass from any material. But it didn't show that you can make a good sounding bass from any material.

And I'm not saying electronics don't make a difference. You can put a singer in front of 20 different mics and those mics will make the same singer sound slightly different. But that doesn't mean that the singer doesn't make a difference.

5. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    Yeah, that video didn't do anything for me. It would be nice if the video included a clip once the pickups were installed in a bass. And if the clips were unknown to the listener.