1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tone wsie, whats the difference between EB Group III's and Chromes

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dave_bass5, May 13, 2010.

1. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Ive recently started to play a Ray34 (close enough to a Stingray to call it that) and wanted to try some flats on it.
    In the past on my P's and Jazz basses ive used Chromes and really like them. A few weeks ago i got a set of EB group III's as people were recommending them on the EB forum.
    I absolutely hated them. All thud and no music (if that makes sense).
    Now, as these were the only flats ive tried on this bass im wondering if its the bass or the strings.
    Chromes aren't exactly cheap so i want to be sure its just the EB's that i dont like.
    I do know what im after and i do know what flats will give, but i dont know what to expect on a SR. Certainly the EB's didnt give me what i wanted, as good as they might be.

So, im not asking for any recommendations, just the difference in tone between these two strings, and if its on a Stingray so much the better but a P or Jazz as reference will be fine.
    Im guessing i should just get the Chromes as they have always sounded good on any bass ive had.

Thanks.