1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

TONE

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassopolis, Apr 8, 2006.

1. bassopolis

bassopolis

Apr 8, 2006
    Hi people - this is my first post. I just got a very critical email from one of the players in my band - large country band. I was told my tone was too bottom-end, that it wasn't defined enough to stand out. I've tried working with my mids, but I end up with a honking, barking kind of sound. Any suggestions? 5-string Carvin LB75, Behringer 4500, Carvin RL118 Cab. (I know, the 18" doesn't help with the mids and highs, but it's what I have to work with right now). Thanks.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    You'd do well to replace the cab as soon as possible. In the meantime, start with all the EQ controls on the bass and amp flat, and make small adjustments to the controls from there. I'd recommend tweaking pickup balance towards the bridge pickup as a first step before making any EQ adjustments.

You also might want to experiment with using a pick if you don't already. It will help define the attack of the notes better even with the 18" speaker.

3. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    AZ, USA
    Cut your frequencies, rather than boosting them, then turn up the amp. Remember that EQ is to compensate for the acoustic environment that you're playing in. Always start flat for each room you play in.

Somebody posted while I typed :)

4. bassopolis

bassopolis

Apr 8, 2006
    Thanksvery much for your input - I am looking to replace the 18 ASAP and the comments re: eq & tone are right on the mark. Much appreciated.

5. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    One more thing is trying to pluck closer to the bridge,helps me a lot.

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Use more bridge pickup, too.