1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tone

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by storme37, Mar 10, 2008.

1. storme37

storme37

Mar 9, 2008
    hi guys

my bass is only a cheap 1950's unknown bass and its the only db i ever played so i got nothing to compare it with, i find the e and a string a little dull in sound kind of thud, im hoping this will get better when amplified but is there anyway to improve the acoustic sound from a bass like mine.

thanks guys

gym

2. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    An amp will not improve your sound. Try heavier strings. I really like Spirocore Stark E and Mittel A for my bass.

3. storme37

storme37

Mar 9, 2008
    ok thanks i will look into that

4. Amplification will only amplify the sound you make without the amp.

5. isolated

isolated Zenji Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2004
    Bronx, NY
    Well, I hate to ask, but:

What kind of strings do you use?

Also, when was the last time you changed strings and/or had the bass set up? Sometimes a simple soundpost adjustment can clear up those sorts of problems.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Yes and it seems the best you can hope for, is that it only sounds slightly worse! :p

7. larry

larry

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    You could put on a brand new set of Spirocore Weichs. Spend a week or so on those, then put your old ones back on. Suddenly, the thud will sound nice. ;)

But seriously, like isolated said. It's probably your strings - and/or set up issues. What do you have on? Are they the strings that were on when you got the bass? Do you have a teacher that can help you? A luthier? Do you know someone who has been playing a long time that can help?

Might be best to get someone to walk you through string choices, how to change them, and a look at your bass to make sure it is healthy.