1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TonePrint - Too cool for words

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mosfed, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    After some initial problems using TonePrint, I finally got it to work (yes if your phone is on vibrate it won't work - even if your speaker looks like it is on and your volume is all the way up - I am such a dufus sometimes).

I find it simply amazing.

What are some of your favorite toneprints for the HOF mini?

The Spring Onions one is pretty amazing if you ask me. And the plate pre-set is probably one of my favorites from the original HOF.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    gregmon79 likes this.
  2. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Re: the phone vibration. Huh?

3. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I couldn't get it to work as my phone was on "silent" for the ringer - even though it would play music through the speaker. So the toneprint wasn't playing and thus not beaming.

Yes I am a dufus

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  4. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    I guess I don't appreciate how the Toneprint works. I thought you just used your phone to load settings, not play sounds.

5. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    The way it works is that your phone "beams" the new toneprint to the pedal through the pickup on your guitar/bass. The pickup acts like a microphone and sends the information to the pedal. So the phone speaker needs to be on (naturally) to play the electronic sound necessary to program the pedal.

The whole toneprint editor is a whole other story. There you can create new toneprints and then send them to your phone. The one pity is that they didn't make a community where people share toneprints. That would have been the bomb.

6. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    So it uses the pickups in place of Bluetooth or wi-fi to program the pedal? Interesting. And it's just a one-time program---once you set it, you stay on that Toneprint until you change it, even if you don't have your phone around?

7. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Yep, you got it. Most of TC's mini pedals are just doing the one knob toneprint thing, while many of their regular sized pedals have the option for toneprint while retaining normal pedal behavior as well.

8. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I also dig the feature. Its unfortunate I had to flip the only TC pedal I had that the feature actually worked with though. I wish more pedal makers did this very same thing. Its a pretty big selling point for myself. I had trouble with it when I first got it, the Vortex, but once the firmware was up to date, it was all good.

Mosfed likes this.
  9. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Exactly.

10. My kids bought a Vortex Flanger for me for Christmas. Well, I guess I should say I bought one while MF had it on sale for $99 but I am unable to tinker with it until Christmas. I did take it out of the box "to make sure it works", including using the toneprint function. Seems like a blast and sounds great! I downloaded the editor but it doesn't do a lot without the pedal connected.

Reading the manual on TC Electronic's site seems to imply that you can change the entire function of the pedal however. I was wondering if anyone had experience with this. For example, I have the flanger, can I edit the knobs to function as the corona chorus? It would be great to be able to change between the two with the flip of a switch.

11. triviani

triviani

Oct 23, 2010
    No. I'm pretty sure you can't switch between different effects, just change presets.

Although you should be able to tweak the flanger with the editor to get close to a chorus.

12. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    With the toneprint editor, you can change so many different pre-sets that you can pretty much get it to do other things than what it is meant to do. With that said, the parameters provided for each effect are pretty tight. So - the delay pedals have delay parameters to adjust. But since you can add modulation to delay, you can lower delay times and just use modulation effects.

It is very flexible but they didn't give you the capacity to take a flanger and make it into a chorus. With tons of tweaking, you can probably create something pretty close though.

13. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Also there are some effects that can cross over to a limited extent. For example, there is a chorus TonePrint for the Flashback delay that I believe is supposed to be identical to one of the settings on the Corona Chorus (trichorus, I believe). Plus the reverb can be modulated, so you might be able to put together a toneprint that was mainly modulation and drops the reverb effect to minimal levels.

I will admit that I was skeptical of the TonePrint line due to bad experiences with digital effects long ago, but they really do sound great.