1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tones in an American Deluxe P Bass V?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DeliriumTremens, Mar 13, 2008.

1. some guy wants to trade me for my Warwick. Can it do the classic P Bass tones? what else?

2. tmw

tmw Gold Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Delmar, NY
    I have found that it can.....

3. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    IMHO, it does a great job at the classic P tone even tho, technically, the A string is on the wrong pickup segment to truly be like the 4 string model for the E-G part anyway.

The bridge pickup is very bright and growly, but I would not say it sounds just like a J bass, probably edgier. That also translates to a more "modern" slap tone than on a J bass. I love every sound that comes out of this thing, but it does not replace a J bass if you're a J purist. But if you want a P with a great modern slap and aggressive bridge tone, and don't care that it doesn't mimic a J as much, this is your man.

IMHO, this is one of the very best basses Fender has ever put out, but if you're looking for something that's a true PJ, this is not it. It's really more of a "modern P" with that unique bridge pickup.

I've been through a few of these (just the usual buy/eval/sell) and they've all been great instruments. The one I currently have, and will likely never sell, is a sunburst alder model with a maple board. Love that bass.

4. aha sounds good. I already have a nice Jazz so I am looking for something different. Thanks for the replies

5. Jimtoonz

Jimtoonz

Aug 26, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    +1 for Vic.

I owned one for about a year and a half and found that it can get very close to the classic P sound. I'd call it about 90%, because there is a bit of a difference. One of my favorite settings on this was to roll the pan pot about 75% of the way toward the split-coil pickup so there was the classic P sound there with enough of the bridge P/U to provide more edge or bite than the normal "P" sound.

6. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I respectfully partially agree with Vic. :smug:I own this bass and find that if you pan the blend knob all the way to the left, you have that classic Pbass sound. I agree with Vic that it is a big more agressive because of the active electronics,:) but you can get that Pbass vibe by just backing off the EQ some.:D

7. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Actually we fully agree based on what you're saying here.

I was saying it wasn't a "PJ" (not just P). Part of THAT formula is a typical J pickup by the bridge, which this bass doesn't have, so I was saying it was different from a PJ since the blended and bridge sounds are different.

However, despite the fact that the A string is technically picked up at the "wrong spot", I've never noticed it in the sound, and I do think it does a great job at the P sound when soloing the P pickup.

8. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Vic,

Sorry about that, I see what you meant now. That bridge pup is definitely NOT a jazz pup. However, I do like the blend sound of this bass, and the versatility of using it strictly with the split pup like a pbass.

9. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    np, and a BIG +1! :D

10. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    The DLX P-bass sounds completely different than a Jazz - so don't worry about that!

11. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I wouldn't say it sounds *completely* different. You can get a hell of a middy Jaco tone out of that back pickup if you EQ it properly.

The P pickup soloed does a great P bass tone. Blending the two together makes for a great tone that has to be heard to be believed.

12. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yeah, just depends on how particular you are regarding "sounding the same", but yeah, that bridge pickup is PLENTY burpy and growly for sure. :)

Truer words were never spoken. I can't tell you how many times people have heard or played mine and said "...and this is a Fender???". :)

13. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Hey Vic,

I noticed that yours is the 4+1 tuner. Mine is just the 5 all on top. In your opinion, is mine less or more popular because of this fact? Also, are there more or fewer like mine out there?
    Sorry for all the questions, just that you seem like an authority on this bass. :)

14. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I used to have one like yours, and to be honest, the newer design is a little better, but overall the difference is fairly minor.

In 2002, Fender updated the USA Deluxe 5 line to shave the neck heel, go to a 4+1 headstock, and change the preamp to an 18V from a 9V. The most typical difference between a 9V and an 18V preamp is not output levels... those need to be consistent. Typically, it's to increase dynamic range and help a little with noise reduction, but again, while it was a few years between owning the older one and my current one, I don't really remember noticing a huge difference.

The main thing I liked was the 4+1 headstock simply because it's easier to find cases and gigbags that fit.