Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tones you can get from the Ibanez BTB 406QM...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Ok, I got this for christmas and I'm not supposed to play it, but when the rents aren't around I plug it in and toy around just because. I love how it plays, but I'm trying to get a "fat bassy" sound, whatever I play sounds rather harsh.

So is there a wide range of tones you can pull out of the BTB pre amp, or is it all harsh and metallic? Almost like a P Bass sound that I could find?

Also, I have no idea what each knob does. One does something with the mid range and it sounds like a "wah" sound almost...

Help!

2. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    Hey, You shouldn't have any probem getting a fat tone from the BTB. Just keep experimenting with the mid vary and the blend/balance knob. Make sure your not cranking that treble knob to high.... I have my bass and treble cut set flat, Mid blend 1 oclock and the blend balance I naturally change alot while playing to get different tones when needed usually at about 8 oclock for finger style, and then back to like 2oclock for slapp style. That bass really has an exceptional EQ IMO, so don't dispair, just keep tweekin those knobs.
    Peace & congrats on the new toy.

3. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    FWIW, I have a BTB405, and I find the preamp to be very flexible and well-voiced. I do think it's lacking in the pickup department, though, and I've never been able to get the tones I want out of it. If you decide to upgrade it, I'd start with the pickups.

4. Could EMG's fit into it?

5. Thanks you very much for this advice.

I have a country gig and I'm trying to get an EQ that has a fenderish sound. THe guy will let me use the six, since he's very understanding and knows I won't just pound the low B and the high C, but I think he'd appreciate a well rounded worn in "country" sound.

6. I have a btb1206, it has bart p'ups and pre. I think that it's easier to dial in tones with the switch than with the vari-mid. The barts seem to be brighter and punchier, but the only real difference is that they stay clear when boosted all the way. Keep the vari-mid thing around the middle, and i like the pan-pot all the way to the neck pup, clockwise looking down.

Have fun!

7. I'll listen when I'm at somebody's house who has high speed internet.

I'll figure that thing out. I think the biggest toughie would have to be the mid "wha" sounding thing...I'm trying to figure out exactly what I'm supposed to do with it!

8. AmPb100

AmPb100

Apr 25, 2005
    Berklee/Boston
    I owned a BTB405 for 2 years before trading it for an Mbox. I loved the neck, but the PU and pre-amp bothered me. The bass is boomy to all hell around 40 hz, and has click a la Fieldy, but there was no shape to the sound. Found it to be very flat and empty sounding. I played through my Eden rig and it still was just sounding dead. My suggestion would be to change the PU, because the PreAmp seems to have potential. The EMG 40 series should fit.

9. Ive had my 406QM for ages and never really have much problem getting a sound i like out of it, i usually boost the bass and treble a little bit, and the mid gets boosted alot more, i usually pan through the vari mid and theres just a point where my ears tell me its sounding "right", and i stick to that:)