Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Marcap, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Im new to bass (and music in general) and am in the market for a new combo amp. What id like to know is what kind of tones are the different companies generally known for. For example ive gathered that the fender amps have nice deep tones and have also been told that hartke amps are better on the high side. So if you can let me know youre opinions!
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Sorry, this isn't a direct answer, but, FWIW- Over the years, as the technology has made amps more tonally flexible, I've quit trying to pigeon-hole them, at least with the better makes. There's just too many variables for me to make sweeping generalizations. Variables such as;

- what may sound "hi-fi" to me may not to you
    - the variance among different models from the same manufacturer (speakers/preamp/cabinet construction/et al
    - the tone settings
    - the bass, (pickups/woods/strings/et al) plugged into the amp
    - the person playing the bass

For example, SWR has a rep for being hi-fi. But one night I played through an SWR SM-900 and an SWR Goliath Senior.......I almost thought I was playing through a frigging SVT! ("Hi-fi" is one word you won't hear Ampeg using in their SVT ads).

If we're dealing with a specific model or which specific models produce certain tones/frequencies well, that's different.
  3. some guy#2

some guy#2

Feb 3, 2001
    Just stick with the big names & you should be fine.
    Eden, SWR, GK, Ashdown, Aguliar(sp), EA, Mesa Boogie ect ect
    I agree w shouldn't pigeon hole the newer stuff as most of it is fairly versatile.

Fender is not known (generally well regarded) for their bass amp stuff whatsoever.
    There are, however, exceptions to every rule & they seem to be getting better.

Get thee to thy nearest store & plug in!!!