1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tonestyler bypass switch?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Seth Miller, Dec 19, 2015.

  1. Seth Miller

    Seth Miller

    Jul 10, 2014
    Hiya. I searched around and couldn't find an answer.

    I think I may want to add a bypass switch with a volume pot to my pbass. I may not feel this way if I played a lot live but sometimes I just want to tame the rediculous midrange. Probably doesn't help that I have TI flats. I do like the tonestlyer. Would just like to be able to do stock to.

    I'm not confident but think I could figure out how to wire it.

    The caveat: I don't want to change the bass' aesthetics so I'm thinking some kind of mini switch and mini knob. Preferable in black so it gets lost visually in my pick guard.

    Would something I might find at radio shack work? My old volume put is a 250k and that's kind of where I'd like it to be.

  2. khutch

    khutch Praise Harp

    Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    So you have a two knob Pbass where the tone pot is really a Tonestyler? You would like to be able to switch in a normal tone pot in place of the Tonestyler? And you want to retain the two knob aesthetic? Sorry to repeat but I'm not certain I understood what you want.

    Would a stacked knob volume and tone pot work for you in place of the volume knob? If you put a tone pot in series with the Tonestyler then it will work like a Tonestyler when the tone is at zero and like a traditional tone control as you turn the tone knob up. The Tonestyler can be used to select the tone capacitor value you prefer. You would not need a switch if you did it this way.

    If you want a switch and a third pot then you could use a pot with a push-pull switch to select normal tone or Tonestyler operation.

    Personally I would get the parts at GuitarPartsResource.com or Stewmac.com or some place like that. Is RadioShack still in business? Do they carry any electronic parts anymore?
  3. Seth Miller

    Seth Miller

    Jul 10, 2014
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, you understood my questions perfectly. Yeah I think there maybe a radio shack somewhere. Idk. I was using that as kind of an example for if I had to get a mini switch.

    Great food for thought. I may want to do a stacked volume pot. That'd probably the easiest path to goo quality components. A third, mini push pull knob could be nice too.

    If all I have to do is put it in series with the tonestyler I may even not screw it up!
  4. peterkidd


    Oct 20, 2008
    Shirley, MA
    I have this set-up to blend the Tonestyler in and out.

    Works quite nicely.


    Attached Files:

  5. Seth Miller

    Seth Miller

    Jul 10, 2014
    Nice! Thank you. That allows you to pull out some of the midrange honk?
  6. peterkidd


    Oct 20, 2008
    Shirley, MA
    I've got an older Tonestyler, 12 setting.
    Goes from Super bassy to Super honky-middy to Super bright.
    The stacked volume/blend lets you fade in as much of the Tonerstyler as you prefer.
    Makes it a lot more versatile.
    And not too much wiring.
  7. Seth Miller

    Seth Miller

    Jul 10, 2014
    Cool. Thanks guys. This is probably what I'm going to do.
  8. peterkidd


    Oct 20, 2008
    Shirley, MA
    Ends up looking fairly discrete.

  9. QuickNasty


    Jul 29, 2012
    Stellar-tone refers to that as a depth knob. I use one in my bass aswell.
    It certainly adds a lot more versatility to the tone-styler.

    But I find that the tone-styler doesn't get that true traditional tone control sound. Even with the depth control.

    So now I'm looking to add a tone control in addition to the tone-styler and depth control.

Share This Page