1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tonestyler & Delano buffer preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by andronik, Dec 8, 2017.

1. andronik

andronik

Feb 14, 2017
    croatia
    Hello to you all!
    I bought used Ibanez Sr1010, Japan, 1998.
    Great piece of (b)ass! But active preamp is damaged and really not my thing.
    So I have idea to put tonestyler before Delano buffer but I dont know if that is ok to do, dont know almost nothing about electronics...
    Layout would be:
    volume
    balance
    tonstyler
    kill switch

I would very much appriciate your anwsers.
    Thanx in advance!

2. andronik

andronik

Feb 14, 2017
    croatia
    Stellartone - ToneStyler Bass
    Also, I am looking through Stellartone website and they offer dual 6 and standard versions 6, 10, 11.
    Which one should I buy for a bass with 2 pickups, 1 volume and blend pot?

Buffer used in bass would be Delano Sonar Xpure:
    Products
    Here I dont understand does it buffer ships with volume and balance pot or is it something I must buy sepparatly?

Also one more question, can killswitch disconnect battery so bass does not drain it even if cable is connected or it just can mute the sound?

3. andronik

andronik

Feb 14, 2017
    croatia
    ibanez-sr1010-sol-zice-dr-hi-beam-torba-slika-58347399.

This is the bass in question, its not photo of mine but they are identical. For some reason I can not upload photo from tablet...

4. Many Ibanez basses have active pickups. Check to be sure that yours does not, as the effect of the tonestyler will be subtle with lower impedance signals.

The difference between the models that you mentioned comes down to personal preference. There is no right or wrong choice.

Killswitches can be wired to disconnect batteries, but the conventional wisdom is that it is a bad idea. It causes pops and momentary DC offset.

5. andronik

andronik

Feb 14, 2017
    croatia
    Thanx!
    I think that pups are passive, made by Bartolini for Ibanez. I dont understand would the tonestyler work when active preamp or buffer in this case is on and for that to work is it a good idea to put it before buffer and volume etc.
    Could you elaborate mor on ttonestyler models differences? I dont need separate tone pot for each pup and will use blend pot. Also I would like it to be noched knob version.

6. andronik

andronik

Feb 14, 2017
    croatia
    Upgraded bass would look like this:
    XXX layout - FINAL.

7. The tonestyler comes before the buffer, so the buffer has no effect on its behavior.

Im not all that familiar with the different models, but essentially you pay extra money to get extra positions that give more variety.

andronik likes this.
  8. andronik

andronik

Feb 14, 2017
    croatia
    Ok, thax man, thats what I needed to hear!
    Now I must determine which pot value to use for volume pot with Delano buffer and blend pot , and also can I use linear pot for volume? Any recomendations?
    :bassist::hyper::bassist::hyper::bassist:

9. andronik

andronik

Feb 14, 2017
    croatia
    I checked out final price of mods for my Sr1010 and sum would be 454,00$ total. I have no intention to change pickups for now. Also I am gasing for a good strap, groovegear leather solostrap looks killer but 100$? Any expiriences are they worth the price?

Mods consists of:
    Delano xpure buffer
    Stelartone tonestyler bass 10
    3 way on on on switch black (active, pasive, mute)
    volume and blend pots (dont know which ones??)
    Hipshot solo string monorails in black, 4 pieces (idea is to minimize string spacing to 16.5mm)
    Switchcraft black stereo long threaded jack
    2 metal battery holder clips (idea is to seal of existing 1 9v battery compartment on back of the bass and put 2 9v batteries in series one next to other in a control cavity. I belive that without bodymass of existing Ibanez pre there should be enough space in the cavity)
    2 battery terminals
    2 copper shielding tapes
    3 large black aluminum knobs
    Schaller straplocks black
    wooden finger ramp

...and if I add few things needed for playing at all, price goes up to 1400$
    Phil Jones BIG HEAD
    Dimarzio 10'' cable
    Sony Mdr 7520 headphones (400$ alone)
    Imanez Mb300c hardshell case (whole rig should fit in that case, including bass ofcourse so I can take it with me as i travel alot becouse of my job)
    As you can see, intention is to build high end rig at reasonable cost, customized to my taste)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    ctmullins likes this.
  10. bassonovo

bassonovo

Dec 20, 2017
    a selfmade buffer costs you about $ 10.- and a selfmade "Stellartone" about € 15.- in total, inkl. all switches and copper shielding about $ 30-40.- max
    The price of the tonestyler is rediciolous, it's just a switch with some capacitors (and depending on the model) some resistors....

11. Don't you get the best effect of the tonestyler when it is wired before any pots? So a pickup switch might be an option...

12. bassonovo

bassonovo

Dec 20, 2017
    In a "normal" (not perfect) Jazz Bass circuit the tone pot is behind the two volume pots. But it's crucial that the tone pot is BEFORE the preamp/buffer as it interacts with the pickup