1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tonestyler in a pedal????

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by faceinbass, Apr 15, 2010.

1. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    Don't step on it though...

Anyone use the pedal version of the Stellartone, tone styler???
    All my basses are passive so I think I might pull the trigger on one of these.

Anyone use one?

2. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    It's most likely just a rotary pot hooked up to 12 different caps.

3. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I have one installed in a fretted Wishbass with a bartolini, I love it.

JBY

4. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Tried it. The problem is, that your tone pot & cap are still in your bass so you do not get the full effect of it. It works best mounted in the bass with your stock tone pot & cap removed.

5. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Actually, you DO get the full effect of it...if you were to just trade the tonestyler for your tone control. If you were to use it as a cap select in series with your tone pot then no - not the full effect.

Where I would think it shines as a standalone unit would be as a brickwall low pass filter with the option to use your tone pot to cut highs/mids to taste with your existing tone cap. Where it would truly shine would be put in a box with a bypass stomp switch.

I use my tone pot to control my bass' output for Envelope follower sensitivity control (amongst other uses) and would love to have a tonestyler with a bypass switch and a buffer with a bypass switch on my pedalboard.

Stellartone and Creation Audio need to be brought together somehow...Redeemed Tonestyler!

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Ooohh... I would totally buy a Redeemed Tonestyler. I mean, I could just put a simple FET buffer and a homemade varitone in a box and call it a day, for like $20 in parts... But a really clean, noiseless, high-headroom, zero-loss one would be worth paying for.

7. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    When you chime in on this it makes me think that it should be an SFX thumpinator product.

8. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    Ok, this makes total sense.
    I have a volume-only bass already...
    I could do that to the others as well. :ninja:

9. jscomposer

jscomposer

Nov 25, 2009
    I saw a video demo of the tone styler. Sounds like a normal tone pot with a quality low-value cap, like a .01 orange drop, as opposed to the .022 or .047 crap cap that comes in most guitars. Basically, with a quality low-value cap you can turn the tone knob all the way down and not get a muddy/muffled tone, along with lots of useful tonal variations in between. Plus you get a continuous taper, as opposed to 16 different positions. Not to mention a cap costs just a few bucks, as opposed to this gizmo that costs around $100. :eyebrow:

10. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Not exactly--it has a dozen different caps, not just one low-value one.

11. jscomposer

jscomposer

Nov 25, 2009
    So it's like breaking up a normal smooth tone control into 16 discrete parts. I think a more apt name would be Rube Goldberg tone pot. :smug:

12. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    nope. it's like 16 different tone caps all rolled off to the max. You pick one and you'll get everything below and almost nothing above.

very different EQ curve than your tone pot.

13. Silent Fly

Silent Fly Supporting Member Commercial User

May 8, 2006
    London - UK
    Owner/designer [sfx]
    Interesting challenge... :)

On the other side, if it has to go in a pedal, it would be much simpler building a variable frequency LP with a potentiometer to change the frequency.

14. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Go over to the Pickups and Electronics forum and search on the word "varitone" to learn something new.

15. jscomposer

jscomposer

Nov 25, 2009
    Are you saying that a tone pot with a .015 cap cannot mimmic the tone of a .01-equipped tone pot rolled all the way down? My impression is that if you back off the .015 cap tone pot a bit you'd get the equivalent of a .01 cap tone pot rolled back all the way. (.022 caps and higher I feel are too crude to really tell.)

16. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    The sound is very different, and cap values are dependent on the pickups and other components used, so there is no fact or logic to saying .022 is "crude" in general. I really don''t mean to be patronizing or whatever, but you really need to go read about varitones and how they work.

17. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    I realize this thread has been dormant for a while but

Does that mean that the Tonestyler is priced way higher than it should for what it does?
    Does it mean buying it in a pedal format is wasting $$?
    Does this mean we should just replace the tone pot on the bass instead of getting the pedal format?
    Just asking......