Tonewood....or not...Caution...geetar related subject!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by StudioGC, Jan 25, 2022.

1. StudioGC

StudioGC

Sep 20, 2015
    London

You all seen this? Pretty good semi scientific study me thinks.....

TrustRod, Isaac_James, Kro and 23 others like this.
  2. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    Honda tone engines.

3. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    Just goes to show how much more of a factor the pickups are than what species of wood is used on a body.
    Also, the fact that 3 different builders, had 3 completely different answers, should be telling.

TrustRod, ZedLepp, MonetBass and 9 others like this.
  4. JKos

JKos Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Surprise, AZ
    And pickup height.

Some builders need us to believe certain things make a difference in order to stay in business.

Flying B, TrustRod, SteveCS and 10 others like this.
  5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    Marketing 101. Create a need for the customer that only you can fill.

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Sample size shmample shmize.

7. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Ned Steinberger found the best sounding bass neck was the one he bolted to his workbench... and then proceeded to make a bass that was as close to that as possible. 40 years ago. It doesn't matter how convincing that video is, or the many other videos demonstrating more or less the same thing: it's mostly the strings, pickups, and electronics, with body and neck wood counting for a tiny segment of the the tone, maybe so tiny most people can't hear it at all in a blind test, which is what the guy in the video should have done. Knowing he's playing 2x4 makes it potentially "sound" different... to our eyes. If the last few years didn't make people realize that instinctive Tribal association and ingrained desired belief are far more influential than objective verifiable truth, applied to pretty much everthing including guitars, then they haven't been paying much attention. I like wood, it's beautiful and tactile in a way Carbon Fiber never will be. Using beautiful wood for aesthetic reasons alone is good enough for me. You want great tone too? Get some good pickups.

Flying B, TrustRod, bigjames and 29 others like this.
  8. SlingBlader

SlingBlader Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Northern Indiana
    Bravo! :thumbsup:

9. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    I had a chance to get into marketing and advertising, right out of HS.
    I chose not to, because I found the psychology of marketing to be morally objectionable.
    I chose the trades instead.
    Knowing what I know now, I regret it.
    Often.

TrustRod, BishopJP, kesslari and 6 others like this.
  10. StudioGC

StudioGC

Sep 20, 2015
    London
    It does appear tone comes from strings and electronics. Although a nice playing neck is key to the equation.

Durham52, DucRyder, Nuage420 and 2 others like this.
  11. StudioGC

StudioGC

Sep 20, 2015
    London
    That is funny. You watched all the way through!

Treblefree, Nuage420 and dcbluesbass like this.
  12. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    This is true. You need a neck and FB made of hard, stable wood that doesn't flex a ton and rob energy from the strings. Being that the necks he used were relatively the same, that video mostly did a good job of showing that it really doesn't matter what shape the body is or whether it's exotic wood with layers of "tone" wood veneers,...or literally a 2x4. As long as it holds everything solidly in place.
    I thought I heard a tiny difference in the beginning when he switched bridges, but the biggest change was when he swapped the PU. That was the point when they started sounding pretty much the same. I actually thought the 2x4 guitar sounded more like the Anderson than the kit guitar. Identical, actually.

13. JW56789

JW56789 Guest

Feb 18, 2017
    THIS . . . .

'Ned Steinberger found the best sounding bass neck was the one he bolted to his workbench... and then proceeded to make a bass that was as close to that as possible. 40 years ago. It doesn't matter how convincing that video is, or the many other videos demonstrating more or less the same thing: it's mostly the strings, pickups, and electronics, with body and neck wood counting for a tiny segment of the the tone, maybe so tiny most people can't hear it at all in a blind test, which is what the guy in the video should have done. Knowing he's playing 2x4 makes it potentially "sound" different... to our eyes. If the last few years didn't make people realize that instinctive Tribal association and ingrained desired belief are far more influential than objective verifiable truth, applied to pretty much everthing including guitars, then they haven't been paying much attention. I like wood, it's beautiful and tactile in a way Carbon Fiber never will be. Using beautiful wood for aesthetic reasons alone is good enough for me. You want great tone too? Get some good pickups. . . . .'

. . . . . you can take to the bank. Wood just differs too much to be repeatable, for those with good enough ears (and not many of those) to hear the subtle changes. IF it were uniformly the same, all the builders who tout tone by wood would use this recipe for that tone and that recipe for this other tone, etc., it would always be the same build sheet to get that sound. It simply can't be done, because wood is a crapshoot. Looks great, feels great, but a fool's errand to think it's dependably repeatable for tone. It can be a handful strictly from the build and finishing process alone.

Thanks, Gilmour.

JW

14. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    I have played an upright bass-shaped (well, vaguely) object with a 2x4 neck. My left hand did not approve. Not a "tone" thing; an "ergonomically awful" thing.

Justinian likes this.
  15. Rôckhewer

Rôckhewer Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 28, 2015
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Owner/Builder- RockHewer Custom Guitars LLC
    ...But only from trees that were planted by aliens.
    Screenshot_20220125-184149_Chrome.jpg

gzarruk, Joshua, bobdabilder and 2 others like this.
  16. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    I want to know what difference the air makes with the air guitar. Barometric pressure, relative humidity, CO2 levels. You know, what makes a good tone air?

What's the best air for metal?

17. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    Mercury Vapor.

18. Gustopher

Gustopher Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2018
    SWVA
    For a good air guitar you need a solid regulator, no doubt. Depending on climate you may need an air dryer as well, to keep moisture from building in the lines which will cause solenoids to fail.

mikewalker likes this.
  19. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    Vacuum guitar is what's next, though. Air guitar is so last century. :D

Treblefree, reverendrally and Low8 like this.
  20. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    I watched the vid a second time and when it got to the part where he was switching back/forth to the 2x4, I closed my eyes. I couldn't tell which was which.
    But that's probably due to being and inbred deplorable with bad hearing.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 27, 2022