Tonewood sites

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by umberto, Jul 27, 2004.

1. umberto

Jun 10, 2004

This one is a very useful site for those who have to choose the right kind of wood.
    Do you know another similar site? Is there another place in the web where one can find so specific tips for bass building?
  2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Ken Smith has some info. So do Warmoth, thelowend, and there are others.

Do a search on "rampartguitars" and you should find a similar thread from a few months ago.

And keep in mind, that the tone analyses are all opinions. You might put more stock in the opinion of someone who has made thousands of guitars out of a dozen woods than someone who has info on hundreds of woods, but has only made a few dozen.
  3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    You should take almost everything you read on this subject with a grain of salt as there is little hard science to back much of it up. The more you read on the sound of woods the more you will find vague descriptions and opinions in direct conflict with one another. For example, Rampart writes that bubinga is tonally close to hard maple. I think many would disagree with this comparison.
  4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
  5. bubinga051

Jul 5, 2004
    where would i be able to find prices on these woods. im looking to make my own too. and i love the way warwicks sound. so i would look into bubinga, wenge, ovangkol. I like koa too but please any suggestions would be helpful. I slap a lot. so that will be taken into account too. :)
  6. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    The prices will vary depending on the grade of the wood. You'll need to ensure you are getting "instrument grade".

I would contact Gallery Hardwoods -

I've purchased "instrument grade" woods from other suppliers and not recieved the quality of wood I get from Gallery.
  7. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Has anyone dealt with this company?

I'm familar w/ Larry at Gallery but I came upon these folks from a link on Bass Kahuna's web site.

Any feedback about them? Their prices seem reasonable.
    I'm close to buying my body blank and was curious...

8. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Huh? I wasn't aware that I had a link to them on either of my sites.

Anyway, since you asked, I recently bought some wood from them and a different supplier while Gallery was offline for their move to Oregon, and I'm not real happy with the wood I recieved, from the standpoint that there is a good bit of tear out on it and will require a good bit of machining and milling on my part to get it right. It's not a big deal, I guess, but the wood I get from Gallery is milled perfectly and 99% ready to glue up.

9. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I have dealt w/ exoticwoods. The supplied the quartersawn wenge neck blank for my current project... I haven't seen it yet, as it was shipped directly to USACG, but Tommy raved about it. The completed neck is supposed to ship to me, next week... I'll let you know it looks.

BUT, dealing with them was quite painless.
  10. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
  11. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000

Anyway, thanks for the info. Maybe you know this...will Larry glue up and thickness plane a blank for you (I don't have access to a whole lot of power tools and I want the blank to be done right).
    I guess I could ask Gallery directly...just wonderin'

I recently asked Larry about if he did laminate neck blanks-he does. For more exact information, email him-or since he's a member of this board, he could chime in sooner or later.

I've bought the wood for my first project [w/exception of neck-used a walnut piece for it that i got locally] from Larry and he was very helpful. It's all Black Limba for that project-body and a stabilized fingerboard.

I've ordered some stuff from Exotic Hardwoods-6 5 string bass nuts preslotted. Order shipped quickly and arrived in 5 days or so. Now-i'm just waiting for my dad to bring me that package since we had it shipped to his place in Indy vs. here in Lafayette.

I've ordered 3 fingerboards from LMII as i didn't want to slot and radius a fingerboard myself [first project was a fretless w/a flat board]. The boards are nice but i don't think they do much in the means of exotic/tops.

I'd definately go w/Gallery Hardwoods for any instrument wood that you need.

That's all
  12. saviodo

Aug 12, 2004
    Houston Tx
    I just received some walnut and Black Limba from Larry at Gallery, and let me tell you, it is beautiful. Well worth what I paid, which wasn't much, and I am totally excited to get my hands on it. It made my day, an hour before it came I had 4 wisdom teeth taken out.
  13. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I just polished the Stabilized Black Limba fingerboard today that i got from Larry. I likey :D
  14. umberto

Jun 10, 2004
    Thanks! These sites are really good sites!
    But... why the acoustic science don't produce or show its researches on the web? Why nobody makes good tests on wood tone signature? I've just found this interesting site:

I'm sure it's possible to find out an averege tone frequency response thanks to repetitive experiments on differnt stripes of wood. Moreover I think it would be very helpful.
    I think also none can disagree: nothing is better than experience... but I haven't - unfortunately.