Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by TreeChild, Mar 2, 2005.

1. TreeChild

Feb 28, 2005
    Wimberley, TX
    hey everyone.
    i am building a new body for my ibanez gsr 200 that i converted to fretless. i am not sure of what kind of wood to use. i want somthing kind of reddish in color, but that isnt a must. anyway im gonna make a list of woods i am ineterested in and you guys can comment on them and tell me what they sound like in a bass, i would like to know. thanks a lot.

Black Limba (Korina)

- wyatt
  2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
  3. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    If I were you, I'd rule out Cocobolo and Palisander, cuz they're really heavy woods, and would make painfully heavy bodies (unless you really don't mind the weight).

For a really sweet fretless tone, walnut is really nice, and mahogany should also be fairly close (a bit warmer).
    For redness though, walnut is a bit lacking in my opinion. For the looks purely though, I'd go with a padouk body. It's a bit heavier than walnut or mahogany, but should still offer solid (but probably brighter) tone.
  4. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Only problem with padouk is that it oxidizes a very dark brown in time.
  5. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Walnut is my favorite body wood. It's kinda thumpy and deep, which is what I like. Mahogany is my second favorite. It's very resonant and would make a great hollow or semi-hollow body (yielding deep lows). Cocobolo is really heavy. Isn't it a little expensive, too? Maple is pretty bright (in terms of tone), but that can be evened out with a walnut top. Anywho, if you're going for red in color and want awesome tone, go with mahogany!
  6. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Cherry. Or walnut. Or possibly koa, but that seems to have become rare = expensive.