1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tonewoods

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassjamm, Mar 22, 2006.

1. bassjamm

bassjamm

Mar 22, 2006
    Hello everyone,

Just joined the site...wahey!

I'm looking to get my first custom bass built soon, and i'm doing a bit of research into the different options available...and the first port of call is the wood i'm going to use!

Can anyone point in the right direction in order to find somewhere that will give me good accurate info on what different tonal characteristics different woods have?

I'm looking to have lined fretless built, and to have a real deep bassy sound, similar to a Celinder that i played, to have a Warwick kinda growl, but with the jazzy kind of sound...a lot to ask i know...but it's part of the fun isn't it.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated...i'm also going to be looking for some help on neck woods, so if anyone has any links handy thated be great.

Many thanks in advance.
    Jamie

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yes. See that button called "Search"? Go for it.

:p

But really, this has been covered in lenght lots of times. Even this week we've had some.

Anyway:
    deep bassy: mahogany might be a good idea; also, n-t.
    W-esque growl: depends more on the construction and parts, I'd say wenge b-o neck.
    As you see, deep bassy and w-esque growl contradict each other. You'll have to play with p-up locations and types, too, to get that sound

3. bassjamm

bassjamm

Mar 22, 2006
    Thanks.

I noticed that people have posted comments on individual woods, but i was hoping there was somewhere where i could perhaps A/B a few...

4. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    You'll likely have trouble finding objective information on the subject. There are a whole lot of very different opinions, and it tends to be one of those "can of worms" things that can get under people's skin. The search function should turn up about seven year's worth of reading material, but be sure to take everything with a grain of salt. Lots of us can get pretty defensive when we get into the wood/tone debates. If you can keep an open mind and listen to both sides you should be able to find enough info to form your own opinions.

-Nate