Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ToneWorks PX4B Bass Pandora

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DB5, Feb 13, 2004.

1. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Anyone tried this unit yet ? If so what are your opinions :help:

2. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Sounds great through headphones, but very dissapointing through an amp. So I suppose it might work straight into a PA.

3. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    It's a good little practice/fooling around tool. Some neat effects. It also makes a handy metronome. I used to have one for use on the tour bus to practice, but it kept picking up frequencies from the engine. It would make a whiring noise in synch with the bus accelerating and de-accelerating. Drove me nuts, so I gave to my brother in law.(also a bassist) He now uses it for fiddling around at home.

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Korg and their dealers market it as a "Personal" effects device...........implying it's a practice tool, not a performance unit.

But the PX's are great practice tools, IMO. The effects and drum patterns sound convincing through headphones. The ability to record and/or play along with recorded music is a real plus, too.

The Korg website has some sort of coupon at this time where you get a free pair of headphones when you purchase a PX.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Great little boxes. Swiss army knife for bass. Works well for guitar except recording into the phase trainer. I'd rather be without an amp. Saw one on bassgear the other day for $125 w/charger. You need the charger - or truck of batteries. Tuner sucks though. Easy to use but the manual is recommended. I'm hoping the next generation will have a footswitch and midi programming - all thats lacking. It's always somethin.

6. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Thanks for the responses. My intent is to use this as a at home practice tool. Much appreciated all. :cool:

7. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I've had a PX3B for years. Same thing but PX4B has a few more programmed effects and I think a longer sample / record time. Excellent practice / walking around the house tool. luknfur mentioned the manual. Keep that sucker handy. The buttons mean different things in different modes. You'll need the manual to keep 'em straight.

The tuner in mine works surprisingly well, so I guess it's one of those YMMV things. The biggest value for me is I can pop it and an mp3 player or CD player into a waist belt and play along to recorded music while I move around room to room. For tougher pieces that I'm learning, I can record small segments (8 - 16 seconds) and play them back at reduced speeds to confirm what I think I'm hearing.

Peace,

James