Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Toni Childs wants us to back her up for free?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Muzique Fann, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    On 4 days notice! What would you guys do? The gig is Friday. We've been doing an organ trio thing for a little bit in the spirit of MMW and Jacob Fred. She saw one of our shows and wants us to do her songs. She came over lastnight with 2 guitar dudes and we went through some stuff. I don't know how T. Levin did it (he obviously got paid quite well). Not to sound like a pompous ass :ninja: but honestly, I can't stand the music and I've heard way better singers. It's all straight ahead and sleepy. I mean, we could suck it up for one night if we got some cash to take home, but it's sounding like slave labor. Plus, our keyboard guy did the music and produced the song that they both won Emmy's for - so he's not too thrilled. She owes the venue a show or something so nobody is getting paid :eyebrow: But, they're charging $20 a head! I know it's "good exposure" but I don't know if we're going to do it. I would think that an "international superstar" would be able to pay her own band? There could be the possibility of studio/session work as she's working on a new album, but I just don't know. The drummer and I were bored to tears. I think we need to be compensated for our time or we're out?

2. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    I don't know who Tony Childs is, but it sounds like it could be a good opportunity. If nothing else, it's one night of your life, and you could always say I played a gig with someone who played with T. Levin...

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'd most likely do it.... but then I make my living elsewhere and just dig the chances to play :cool:

I don't think you could be faulted for choosing either way

4. negotiate something. A few hundred bucks should be pretty meaningless to "Tony Childs, International Superstar." (I also have no idea who that is). Regardless of that the venue is making a lot of money off you, what's the next best thing you have to do that night? Or, what's your normal fee? Get her to pay that out of "her" pocket. By which, I mean her mgmt.'s pocket. Or tell her to go find the level of musician that works free.

At the very least, you'd get a story out of it. "Yeah, I played with blah blah blah...what a crappy gig that was!" Then, everyone would think you were super cool for being above the level of blah blah blah, International Superstar.

5. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    It might be cool for the "life experience," but you can play free anyday of the week. What would the management do if you said no? They would have to find and pay someone. I think they are just trying to get a free pickup band.

6. See if you can negotiate - you agree to play for free if you don't have to listen to her crappy voice :D

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I think I would need to be compensated. How big of a "star" is this woman anyway? I've never heard of her.

8. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    Mabye you could put out a tip bucket. ;)

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I also have no idea who Toni Childs is.

If you guys normally get paid to play, then tell them no. Like James, I make my money elsewhere, so I would do it in a heartbeat just for the chance to play.

-Mike

10. RLT

RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Three albums, A best of and a Ultimate collection.
    1988 thru 1994 best of out in '96 ultimate out in 2000.
    House of Hope was on the soundtrack for Thelma and Louise. One minor American "Don't walk away" from the 1988 album did good in Australian market.
    Man I love google.

Rusty

11. Feda

Feda Screwed up pitch

Jan 12, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    [​IMG]

Looks cute. I would do it:)

12. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I'd do it once and note that she owes you a favor. It might lead to something, and really there are worse people to stand behind for a couple hours.

13. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    she did "don't want to fall in love" right? back in the late '80/early '90 anyway i say; no don't play for free they should give you guy's something,hell a $100 a guy, something.i have gotten call's to do "showcases"with signed artists who didn't want to pay but promised session work,"you'll be our first call for the tour" ect.it has NEVER worked out so if they want you they should pay you

14. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I never play for free anywhere, for anyone, even if she is cute.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Perhaps, but would she split the tips with the band? Joe?

16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'd do it just because her debut CD is one of my favorites. My only requirement would be she would have to sing "Zimbabwe" at least 3 times :D

The money thing sounds really weird. If you don't think there's some good exposure potential and you don't like her music, then don't do it.

17. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I don't know who she is either. But I think that an Emmy winning singer should be able to pay for a band. I hate when musicians lose it up to that point where they don't remember how bad it felt to give your work for free!

ANDRUCA

18. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Now see, there you go. Great Idea. Play the gig and at some point drop something cool on stage (money, jewlery, whatever). When she bends over to pick it up, stick in her can. See that, there's a solution for every situation. :D

19. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

sent you a PM ...

20. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Her music is really weird so I can see why most of you have never heard of her. In the paper they said she won a Grammy - but I think that's a misprint. She won an Emmy award last year (along with our keys dude - Eddy Free) for best song in a TV documentary soundtrack or some crap. It was in the V-Day series I think? Real womenly stuff. They were up against the Simpsons and even Stuart Copeland had a song in there I think. Anyway - Guys, guys, those are old pictures. She almost died a few years ago and has since...gotten bigger. Not cute. We told her lastnight that we didn't want to do it. Basically because A) she needs to plan ahead a lot better B) we need money C) It's not our fault she "owes" them a show. The guitarists were still charting out the songs on Tuesday night! I'd really like to see them find another drummer and bassist who can learn the songs and are willing to do it on 1 days notice :smug: I almost want to go just to see how bad they will sound with just her singing and an acoustic and electric guitar player. I can't believe people are going to pay $20 to see that - and they will. She's like a hometown star over here or something. So, we're playing at a party up in Princeville for free and we'll feel great about it - tip bucket will be out :)