Tonight I think some pretending to be a Bass Mag. tried to phone scam me

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Corbis, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    Someone called me at 9:00 tonight saying they were in NJ and that my subscription for either "Bass Guitar" or "Bass Player" (he was hard to understand) was past due and I needed to pay 24.95. This was confusing to me since I always try and send a check when I subscribe to a mag.

He also went saying that the easiest way to do this was to give him a debt or credit card. At this point I'm sure its a scam.

I told him no send me a bill. He then said that I should just send him a check at an address to billing. He was VERY hard to understand but this is what I manage to write down. (The - are when I couldn't understand him)

DallAmerica -----
    -96 M----
    Mahwuah NJ

Anyway I checked my Bass Guitar account and I'm paid up till Dec 2006 and and they aren't in NJ. There's not a way to check you Bass Player account online but I just sent them a check a week and a half ago and they are located in CALI. not NJ.

Also the time too. It was 9:00 here wouldn't that make it 10:00 if he was calling from Jersey? Who works at 10? Telemarketers usually call around 5-7 here.

Maybe I'm wrong. Is there a bass mag. billing department in NJ?

Either way I'm upset since I was watching "Red Dragon" on tv and I had to stop watching it for the call, to see if I was paid up, and to post here. :D
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Send him some ass pennies. Anybody remember that one?
  3. Sounds like a scam to me, any reputable magazine would send you a bill in writing....

If somebody gets your credit card number and expiration date off your card, along with your billing address, they can charge a lot of stuff before anybody finds out. I'm glad you didn't fall for somebody asking for info over the phone.
  4. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Music Player is in Colorado, if I'm not mistaken (the parent company/publisher of Bass Player, Guitar Player, a keyboard magazine, the BP/GP buyers guide, etc.). I'd bet you a dollar that this was definately a scam. :scowl: If your subscription is up, you'll get a notice in the mail (and you can always check on your mailing will tell you when you're due).
  5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    There are companies now that follow up on subscriptions, and they have telemarketers doing it. I thought I had gotten scammed cuz I followed through with one of those phone calls - had them bill me though - and realized when I got the bill that it was some company I had never heard of. I called BassGuitar mag to ask them what it was all about and they said it was fine. It was.

I wouldn't give anyone any credit info though. Tell them to renew your subscription and send you the bill. f they don't want to then I'd say it's a scam. Skrew em.
  6. Same guy called here and offered to sell me some seashore property in Kansas.

Glad you kept your credit card #s in your wallet. :smug:
  7. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    Ok I'll take you on that bet. Now if you could email me your credit card information......

I tear off the shipment sticker when I get it so I can't look when it is up. Bass Guitar I'm paid up till 2006. I emailed Bass Player about my balance but like I said my 1 yr subscription was up and that check was cashed. My subscription has been up for 2 months and I just sent my renewal card in this month along with a check in the same envolope, it however has not been cashed. But they way the guy talked he acted like I had never paid this company and he gave me untill April 9th to pay or "my credit would be ruined with this company". He then asked if I had ever gotten a bill and I said no. He never responded to that and just told me to send the check to the address in my early post.