Tonight's gig.. bah.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Tsal, Apr 11, 2003.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yep, returned from a "drug-free bandnight", held at this youth center. There were my covers band and this other originals rock band who are our friends, both playing sort of 80's hard rock stuff. Not very good taste afterwards, I tell you :rolleyes:

First, we got there around 7pm, we were told beforehand that "you guys will be all set, just bring your own guitars!" - of course the "stuff" was cheap New Sound drums, there were two guitar amps from our guitarists though,:a 100w tube stack and a 30w tube combo so they were decent and loud too. But what about the bass amplification then? You guessed it: 60w Peavey combo. Rock on with the backline! I told our guitarists three different times at the soundcheck that they need to turn down since I can't hear a thing - "sorry man, but I can't hear anything if I turn down!" was the response from both of 'em.

The organizer-fella wanted each band to play two 30min sets, with 30min of tape music in between. We weren't that comfy with it, you probably know why, but he wouldn't take none of it. "I already told the DJ the times, I don't want to go through the hassle anymore!" The thing is, the "DJ" was this kid behind a desk next to the band, yeah a huge hassle to tell him when to put the music on again! :mad:

When we started the first set, this organizer guy waves at me to get my bass volume up. I tried to tell him that it's already at max but he wouldn't listen, he tried to adjust it three separate times during the set. Well, atleast the good point of not being heard that you don't have that much pressure about making mistakes :D

Then, the third-song-curse stepped in, in the middle of the first set. Our lead guitarist always breaks one of his strings in during the third song of some set. As always, there was supposed to be a backup guitar, but it turned out that the guitarist of the second band was a lefty. He had another righty guitar with him, but it had no strings on, I really have no idea what the deal was :confused: We had to quit the first set after three songs. And of course the DJ was somewhere, entertaning the ladies or something, it took five minutes to get his discs running.

To top it off, of course both our guitarists had taken some booze beforehand. The idiots! It was supposed to be drug-free night to show some example to the youth! We got into trouble because of that, the organizer and one of the workers smelled the alcohol on their breath. Luckily, I had a long private conversation with the boss, and explained him that we had a little misunderstanding inside our band about this. He was pretty cool about it though, and said that we're ok to play there and that he wouldn't be spreading the word about bad behaviour. Not that we probably will play there much, we played this gig for some coffee and rolls only and we're supposed to be gigging for money in bars.

But anyways, it's another gig experience, valuable to a young player like me, and we got to play out a bit so I guess it didn't all go to waste :)

Sorry for the long post, but had to let it out from my system.