1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tons of Noise from MIM Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by groovejam, Nov 29, 2006.

1. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    I own a 2005 MIM Deluxe active Fender Jazz. When I plug my bass into my Eden WT 400 + Aguilar 112 and Eden 15 there is alot of hiss and fuzz and at high volume levels ( even with the tweeter off) it is down right intolerable. :mad:

The battery seems to be fine, and I pluged my friends Fernades electric guitar into my rig and turned the volume way up just to test, and there was not even half as much noise? I also tried some different cables, although all of them were cheap, there didnt seem to be a difference?

I also find that the volume seems to be lacking...

What could be the problem?

2. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    You may have a problem with the Fishman preamp that is built into those deluxes. However, I have always been one for spreading around to people that they should dump those stock Fishman/Fender preamps because they are very noisey and bland sounding. Bartolini makes a preamp that fits great and sounds great in that bass; it'll sound like an active Fender should!

3. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    Thats what I was afraid of.

4. groovejam,

i have been through a big learning curve in the last few days. i have a new fender american deluxe jazz bass, very unhappy with the sound, lots of buzzing, scratching, etc. search posts by my name, you will see more.

what i have learned / done so far:

- fender is strongest on passive basses, they don't have a great reputation on the actives, at least as far as the electronics go

- it seems lots of folks replace the fender (fisher?) OEM preamps; i am looking at bartolini and john east preamps

- search for and read both the electronics and shielding FAQ's here on talkbass. i had my tech take apart all the electronics on the bass. he found two potential grounding issues. he also lined the main electronics cavity (it had only been sprayed, sometimes not enough), as well as the battery cavity, which had not been treated at all. he cleaned all the pots. both electronics cavities seemed to have lots of grit, etc. left from production, surprising but true.

- external electronics can have a big impact, e.g. dimmers on light switches. i went through my whole house trying my bass and amp in different places, lowest noise level was in the cellar with hardly any electronics

- the amp can make a big difference. first steps were on my randall 30w practice amp, very noisy. got rid of this. tried several other amps, including ampeg, fender, marshall,etc. the ONLY amp that produced VERY low noise levels was the gallien krueger MB150S/112 microbass, which i now bought. only 100W, but there are other GK's with much more power. very high quality electronics obviously.

- a lot but not all of my noise is gone, again, still pondering a different high end preamp. i will try to keep the original samarium cobalt noiseless (!) pickups if i can.

- all of the above was at my own expense, but i will do what is needed to get it right. i bought the guitar from a good dealer who is unfortunately located far away. never again!

hope this helps, you can PM me if you want more info.

good luck.
    tim

5. kristlik

kristlik Guest

Nov 22, 2006
    Lincoln, NE
    I have a passive MIM Fender J bass; even put Baseline pups on it -- and there is still a fair amount of noise. Which makes it really frustrating when I went in an played an American P bass today, and cranked up the amp in a quite room; and the room was still quiet -- till I started playing that is. :bassist:

I just think it is the MIM electrical, or just lack of shielding.

6. kristlik, mine is an american deluxe jazz bass (made in USA, obviously), retail >$1,600. i'm not even sure it has to do with where the basses are made. i fear it is just very inconsistent quality. i played a different active jazz bass at a local dealer the other day and it was quiet as could be.

7. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY

I have a Passive MIM P Bass Deluxe that was quite noisy when I first got it (used). What I found was that the ground wire to the bridge was missing. Added the wire and the noise went away. You can check this with an ohmmeter, there should be 0 ohms betwen the bridge (and strings) and the ground (outer) connector on the 1/4 jack

8. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Welcome to Fender's inconsistency :D That is the problem with fender in general, QC is not a priority.
    There are very good fenders out there, and when you find a good one, it really is a great bass, you just have to be lucky and find one without any of the classic problems on fenders, (bad electronics, dead spots, unstable necks, etc.)

9. good point rano. we all go through our learning curve. i will not buy another fender sight unseen. think at this point i will definitely replace the preamp (john east u retro deluxe is looking very good right now!). the GK Microbass is a great amp but can't compensate for all the problems on the fender.
    tim

10. kristlik

kristlik Guest

Nov 22, 2006
    Lincoln, NE
    Basskopf,
    Your right. I played a $900 P bass the other day--it was the cleanest sounding bass I had played for a long time; for that reason alone, I'm getting severe GAS for it. May have to change my sig :)

11. Barbados Bass

Barbados Bass

Oct 10, 2010
    i got one recently and realised lots of buzz... turns out its a grounding problem.. if u run a wire from the bridge of your bass to the input jack of your bass.. it shud solve it.. it worked for me