Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tonsillitis sucks.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Trevorus, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yep, it sure does. Evertime I move my tongue, it hurts. Everytime I swalow, it hurts. But gargling listerine helps quite a bit... Anyone else have any advice what to do about it? I gargle salt water, listerine, and spray some chloroseptic for good measure. Work is gonna suck tomorrow.

2. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I'd like to help you if I even knew what it was. But if you tounge hurts when you move it, you can go buy some oral anisthetic (sp?) and it just makes your mouth go numb.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    tonsillitis? That is when your tonsils get infected, inflamed, and painful.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Get 'em removed!

Then again, when I did that, my throat hemorrhaged and I vomited approx. three litres of blood. That was, uh, interesting.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I don't really want them removed if at all possible. They are a line of defense agains bacteria and illness, and it doesn't help you any to get them removed. I figure that if I go to the doctor, and the figure it's strep, they'll give me antibiotics, but if it's a virus, just tell me to talke ibuprofen(an anti-inflammatory), and gargle listerine or whatever.

What I'm looking for is anything to speed the process. Thanks for any help...

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    It's harder to get strep if you don't have 'em, and you sure as hell can't get tonsilitis if they're not there. I used to be chronically sick in the winter, but for the last two years, I've been healthy as a horse.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Trevorous,

Go to the doctor, man. My wife is a doctor and I'm absolutely sure that's what she'd say too.

brad cook

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, I just made an appoinment for 10:45 thismorning, and took off of work. It's worse than it was yesterday.

Oh, and you can still get strep just as easily without them. They are actually part of your limphatic system, and they help fight things like strep. Somethimes they get a bit overwhelmed, and that is when stuff like strep attacks. But I hear that viruses are more common, whih sucks. Because you can only let it run it's course.

9. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I am a doctor and I concur. Strep can be nasty if you dont treat it.

Mike

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Not strep. Just viral. So it's ibuprofen, gargling, and chloraseptic for me.... Ugh...

11. Hey, you should probably retitle your post, as I'm pretty sure the title you gave it implies the condition where you have to have them removed.

Anyhow, the suggestions for issues with your tonsils are good. There's a good chance it could be a bacterial infection, and your doctor will probably give you antibiotics, even if he/she is not certain this is the case. Edit: didn't read the above post, i'm wrong!

On the other hand, it's possible that it could be a viral infection such as mono...

12. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Viruses stink. I hate them

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hmmm....smelling viruses is probably what got you sick in the first place, young man.

brad cook

14. :D

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think I know what happened, that might have caused it. I was working on a car, and some speck of something fell in my mouth, and got stuck in my throat. I eventually coughed it out, but who knows what was in that speck of gunk from the bottom of a car.

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Cars are the primary carriers of throat viruses. I saw it in the Weekly World News.

brad cook

17. I was trying to find the Bill Cosby "Tonsils" skit.

"They joined the other side..."

18. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    The Cosby skit is a classic "ICECREAM!!!!!"

Mike