Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tony Franklin Fretless Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by duckbutter, Dec 20, 2005.

1. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Just came accross this...no details yet.

January 2006 will see the launch of the Fender® Tony Franklin Fretless Precision Bass®. Click here ( http://www.tonyfranklin.com/TFBass1.html )for sneak preview picture.

2. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Very cool. He was the reason I bought my first fretless.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I just spoke to Tony about the bass yesterday!

I think I'm going to order one when they are ready.

Showdown: same here.

4. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    At last it arrives!

[​IMG]

5. I've always wanted one of those in natural with a maple fretboard.. just like Sting had..

6. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    As an accoustic player who became a fretted electric player, going to fretless seemed like a logical step.

This sounds stupid but I avoided Jaco's recordings as musicians would say "you gotta try to sound/play like Jaco".

As timing would have it I gravitated towards "The Firm" as I was/am a LedZep fan and was surpised by Tony Franklin on bass. He is a good player who doesn't try to show off but his little "fretlessisms" influenced what I do as a fretless rock player.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I was aware of Jaco and Pino and thought the fretless was a neat effect before The Firm hit the scene. I was a big Zep and Bad Company fan at the time... when I heard "Radioactive" on the radio I flipped! Tony mixed with one of the great classic rock voices AND Jimmy Page was unreal to me! I ripped the frets out of my bass shortly after that :smug:

I have been thinking about getting a 4 string fretless for a while now. Just to rethink the same old as a boost in my learning. His main bass (and a Maple / Ash like Sting used) have been at the forefront.

8. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Count me in.
    Black please!

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Wow. That looks great! Is this going to be another sub-$1000 MIJ Sig bass, I wonder? I'm definitely going to have to keep my eyes open for this one....

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Just noticed.
    Only two knobs.
    Are they two volume knobs?
    Or volume and tone?

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    look just below the P pickup. I think that is a 3 way switch maybe.

I'm asking him both questions now :cool:

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The J pup looks on the sig model looks like it's in the standard position, whereas the J pup on Tony's bass (above) looks like it's closer to the bridge. Not that that should make a huge difference or anything.

Very pretty bass! Tony Franklin is the reason I don't play fretless... he's too damn good. :D

13. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Count me in among the "I'd hit it!" group - Tony is 1/3rd of the group that got me to jump into the fretless boat (along with TLev and Sean Malone) and I love both his style of playing as well as his tone. Derek Sherinian's "Planet X" CD slays me in that department.

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    That's interesting. When that comes out, it will be the only non-lined fretless Fender currently makes, as far as I know.

15. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Amazing I now have a precision in my gas list, life takes funny twists. :smug:

16. Especially if it is MIJ & thus affordable(said the guy going into hock for his third Stambaugh :rollno: ). Is he(T. Franklin)a flatwound guy? Pardon my ignorance.

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    nickel rounds

18. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    For those who may not know,Tony does A&R for SWR amps.

19. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    straight from Tony's mouth....
    (I'd also asked if his SWR clinic would bring him to NJ anytime soon).

looks like I've got some saving to do.... USA Signiture series basses don't come cheap :meh:

20. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Well there's yet another bass to add to my GAS list!!