1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tony Franklin P - is hum a problem?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by project_c, Sep 12, 2016.

1. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    All my posts seem to be about hum lately, but I'm looking into the possibility of a Tony Franklin Precision and I've read some reviews that mention single coil hum. I know these are great basses but hum would be an issue for me, could any users chime in and comment on whether this is really an issue with these basses? The one I'm looking at was made in 2014, if that makes a difference. thanks!

2. inanimate_carb

inanimate_carb

Aug 11, 2016
    Single coil hum on the TF will be sourced from the bridge pickup. Some players put up with the hum and buzz because of tone, but it always drove me nuts. If you want a completely silent instrument that won't surprise you with hum and buzz if you play in a lot of different places with different utility wiring schemes, having a single on board isn't the way to go. The P pickup will be quiet on it's own and won't be a buzz or hum source. The usual fix of turning up both pickups won't entirely work on the TF because the pickups aren't the same. The easy way to solve this is to buy a humbucking bridge pickup for the TF and things will quiet down to acceptable levels.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  3. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Single Coil hum has to do with that fact that single coil pickups. Jbass pickups are susceptible to RF and 60hz hum. That's just the way it is. There are millions of Jazz bass players that have gotten along just fine with this. You can replace that pickup with a humbucking, noiseless jazz pickup, but they just don't sound the same. You will only have issue in places with bad electricity. You know the bar that has a neon bud sign on the same circuit as your bass... that is where you might get some buzz. If this is the situation, don't use the Jpup by itself that night.

Single coils have a forward, in your face quality. These pickups in particular are 70's era DiMarzio copies with ceramic magnets. A great sounding pickup.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  4. I woulnd't worry about single coil hum, if I were you. I don't know, has happened like once or twice in 25 years of playing. Maybe I've been lucky; but if the place you're playing isn't a total dump with regards to electricity, you'll be fine. :)

5. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    Thanks! Reason I ask is because unfortunately my home happens to be exactly the "total dump with regards to electricity" you refer to, so if there's any humming to be had, it's likely to happen here. (It's a typical Victorian-era London house). Maybe I should spend the money on a decent electrician instead of a new bass..

6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Both single-coils and humbuckers will be susceptible to RF interference, which is addressed though shielding. As others have mentioned, you could easily negate the single coil pickup in the TF with a humbucking jazz pickup. On a side note, since the TF is still a Fender product I wouldn't be surprised if it still required shielding from the factory as well.

7. Ah, OK. Understood.