Tony Franklin P Review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by G, Feb 27, 2006.

1. G

Apr 12, 2000
    Played the one that they had at Eldery through an old Ampeg flip top 12 combo.

Summary: Best Fender made today? Best PJ bass made period.

First off, the construction was better than any Fender I have ever seen. The pots felt solid, which has been something of a problem with recent Fenders, and the neck joint was beyond solid. I sat for a minute wondering how they got the neck in there in the first place, it was that tight. Finish was great and the burst was much more subdued that some of the other Fenders I've seen lately. Nice.

Unplugged, it was very quiet. THis was a little disconcerting to me, but I was soon to be proved wrong.

Whoa! Plugged in this thing just kills. The best PJ I have ever played/heard. I would definitely buy one and have a fretted neck for it also.

THere are so many tones to be had here... The P tones are true P. The J tones are true J and Fender used a true single coil so there is hum. THe 3 postiion selector is the key, I think. Instead of 2 volumes, or a blend, the selector really lets the bass speak with two the voices we know and love so well. In the center position, there was a little hum. This was defintiely the Tony Franklin setting. Great fretless tones to be had.

The ebony fretboard was well planed, no high spots that I could find. The D tuner was a nice touch as well.

Now, I have really kind of abandoned fretless, and while I was playing I couldn't help but imagine the bass with a maple (fretted) board. I can see this as the prefect classic rock gig machine.
  2. Was there any phase cancellation or drop in tone with both the PUPS on full? Looks like a great well made fender for sure, especially for close to a couple grand.
  3. G

Apr 12, 2000
    THe price on that was 1289 I think. I noticed no drop in signal at all when both pickups were on. No noticable phase either. To me it sounded like it was set up with both pickups wired to the jack - with the 3 way swith acting on an on-on-on switch.
  4. vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    would you know the distance of the j p/up to the bridge? 60's or 70's style?
  5. I thought the Tony Franklin was MIJ? Is it MIA?
  6. Hi G, I have a question about the TF fretless..the specs say the fingerboard is thick is the board? and do you think it would hold up to the abuse of roundwound strings? thanks
  7. G

Apr 12, 2000
    I'll try to get these things straight.

I would say the J pickup is more 70's than 60's. It is an exact replication of Tony's bass, and the J in his bass was a mod, if I am not mistaken. Therefore it is not in exactly either location, but if I had to say I would say more 70's.

It is totally an MIA bass, and I found it to be better built than wither of the custom shop basses that Elderly had in stock.

THe board is ebony, and again it is thicker than average. I'd say somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 inch thick. THe bass was strung with nickel rounds from the factory and the fretboard was clean as a whistle. I think it would wear really well, especially if you stuck with Fender nickels.

I forgot to mention that the setup was amazing as well. THe best set up bass in the store that didn't say Sadowsky on the headstock.
  8. sound like a winner. thanks