Tony Franklin vs. Jaco Pastorius Signature Fretlesses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

This is nice!

2. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Yes he is!

Glenn Johnson likes this.
  3. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Nice video about 2 nice basses. I had the debate over the past few months and went with the TF. Watching this, I’m reassured that I made the correct choice.

4. ShortyGetLow

ShortyGetLow Inactive

Aug 6, 2019
    The Jaco was never a thrill for me....

I think I need to look up the Franklin...

Glenn Johnson and Aqualung60 like this.
  5. IMO you've got to play a jazz fretless with the back pickup dimed and then dial in the front pickup to taste. That mid-scoop sound with both pickups on full - Ala Bruno here - just doesn't do it. The Franklin definitely has its own thing going on, but again, not a sound I look for in a fretless.

P.S. Yes... Bruno is excellent

6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Agreed, not the best way to show off a Jaco bass, of all basses.

gebass6 and Glenn Johnson like this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

One more video of Bruno and his Tony Franklin Precision.

8. BassJuju

BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Dude... that’s the stuff. P-Bass tone and fretless mwah. I can’t get enough. Thanks for sharing.

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Tony Franklin himself on how he gets it done.

10. Glad he went into an explanation of his left hand technique, as I noticed it seemed unconventional for a Fretless player. I like that he pointed out that these were things he was doing unconsciously, and that in some cases, he doesn't think he does them on fretted bass.

I'm self taught, and do many of the same things. Every now and then I think I need to break myself of "bad habits", but then decide its "close enough for rock and roll". This sorta validates my thinking.

Glenn Johnson, Dabndug and pioneerp61 like this.
  11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Technique only needs to be changed if you cannot play what you want to play.

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

My last clip from Tony Franklin, I really like his style.

13. Barton Lee

Barton Lee Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2018
    I bought a new TF fretless six months ago and have zero regrets. Only wish I'd gotten one sooner. I also have a nice MIJ Jazz fretless with an unlined board and Fralins, which I've played for 27 years and still like a lot. For my current gig with a nine-piece band w/horn section though, the sound of the TF with the P pickup soloed sounds perfect, so full and ballsy. I too love playing fretless with a soloed J bridge tone but find it lacks presence and bottom onstage with a large, loud band. TF for the win.

14. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    I'd buy a Franklin if it didn't have the bridge pickup. Why over complicate things when a Fretless Precision sounds so good
    because.jpg

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I feel the same way about my Pedulla. That said, I am having a recurrence of Tony Franklin GAS.

16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I disagree. PJ is the secret sauce for fretless.

17. king_biscuit

king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    I got to play a Custom Shop Jaco a few weeks ago. Really nice bass, that reminded me of my Fullerton reissue 62 Jazz.

18. fishdreams

fishdreams Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Endorsing: Arkham Vacuum Tube Amplification and and Martin Keith Guitars
    the TF for me. The problem IME with the jaco/jazz is that you need an amp and cabs with gobs of low end. I once played through one those Acoustic 360s you see him use on stage (with the 18 inch with folded horn) in a studio and when you even point your finger at that thing the whole house, incl. surrounding woods and suburbs shake on their foundations. It's great but not the kind of amplification I have at my disposal, or can lug around. To me the TF works better with modern amp situation.

Glenn Johnson and StraffordMike like this.
  19. Hmmm. Another P vs. J thread. Subscribed.

BakedMaple and Dr. Cheese like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021