Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tony Grey: amazing chops, interesting sense of fashion!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sargebaker, Feb 22, 2006.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.

what is he wearing???
    can't say much about the playing though.

2. Yeah, I wondered about that shirt myself too. :p

But if I had to wear that shirt to play like Tony, then sign me up!

Tony is really a great player and I love his style. Chops he definitely has, but he can be very laid back and just hang in the groove as well.

Everyone needs to pick up Brain and Spiral from Hiromi. It's not optional! :D

3. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    i srtill need to pick up spiral. the standout bass playing on Brain comes from AJ on Desert on the Moon though IMO.

4. I agree. I feel sorry for any bassist that has to share an album with AJ! :p

For me, these albums show Tony growing as a player and really coming into his own. The future looks really bright for him. He's accomplished alot in a fairly short amount of time.

5. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    My problem with Tony is the stupid hats/skull caps he where's. he seems like such a poser to me. I've watched the video's on his site and it just seems he's trying a little too hard what with the clothes and the crazy facial movements he makes while soloing. Half the time his mouth is doing something that doesn't seem to quite match up with what he's playing. He definitely loves to play fast which I like if it's done musically. I'm just not feeling it from him. I think he certainly has potential, though. He just needs to quit worrying about whether he looks like a jazz musician, drop the mouth spasms, and chill out a little.

6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    yeah odd fashion sense, but dawn crazy chops.

7. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Damn that asian girl is hot !!

By the way, never heard Tony before.. he's pretty damn good, is he playing with free strokes? It looks a bit weird..

8. Very nice playing. I always wished that I liked that 'mid no treble at all' tone more (it is a great sound). It would make things so much easier... you wouldn't need to change strings very often, and that tone is very 'forgiving' regarding technique and relatively easy to create in a live setting with minimum power, etc.

I'm cursed with my love of MTD/70's J Bass crisp round wound sound.... it's hell on the pocket book, and very humbling technique-wise

Oh well......

9. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    what do you mean by free strokes?

10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    his right hand technique is pretty unique, if that is what you are talk about.

I just saw that Hiromi is coming to ATL in March, I think that I'm buying tickets this afternoon.

11. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    That mid on mid tone is what the cats in NY jazz are into, but don't underestimate Tony, the cat can groove, he plays what's needed and for whom it needed for.

12. I'm jealous! I wish I could see that show!

13. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    He plucks straight on in the air instead of landing on the string above.. i always thought the result of this was a thin sound but he sounds awesome!

14. Wow. That's great. Very interesting music.

Tony plays great and I actually like his tone. He likes to play fast and also do I:smug:
    Damn I would like to get a MG signature.

She is also crasy on the piano/Electro.

-Christian

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    All pick players are basically playing with freestrokes, and no one can claim that picking will always sound thin (McCartney and Anthony Jackson'll prove that theory wrong every time), not to mention freestroke fingerstylists like Matt Garrison.

Tony does a mix of free and reststrokes from what I've seen.

And his fashion sense is still about 10,000 times better than all five of the Wooten brothers combined.

16. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm going to play devil's advocate, but my opinion of his solo was...

Sparse, unmelodic wanking, with maybe 1 or 2 desirable lines. No emotion, no logic, no playing the changes

I did love his tone though, and I dig his sweater shirt -- though it makes him look a bit sheepish.

17. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    I thought he had a real hip look and his tone is amazing.

the solo was good, but it could've had a better climax.

he hooked up with the drummer.

18. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    The drummer is really good - Martin Valihora. I've seen bunch of various projects with him - kick ass. :bassist:

19. In Los Angeles, where you see those sweet lil' lids on every musician in the city, they are called "Happy Hats"............Hey, we all need to keep warm in 75 degree California weather right? ;)

Tony is a very well-rounded player!! He rules....

20. Slurm

Slurm

Jan 9, 2005
    Hiromi is pretty impressive, she steals the show. great technique.