Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tony Grey - '...Moving'

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DaveBeny, May 12, 2005.

1. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    For those of you that haven't heard of him, Tony is the current bassist with jazz pianist Hiromi's trio. He's a Brit living in NYC and a Berklee graduate.

Managed to locate a copy of his solo album '…Moving' in HMV yesterday and have had time to give it a couple of complete listens.

I am really impressed by this guy. He has the four-finger-plucking technique down cold and his playing shows the influence of Matthew Garrison and Dominique di Piazza. Although he is a strong soloist, he's quite happy on many of the album's tracks to lay down some deep sub-bass grooves.

Many of the tracks utilise drum n' bass and other electronic elements, combined with some definite "world music" influences, particularly through the involvement of Asian guitarist Prasanna and vocalist Falguni Shah on one track each. I suppose the closest albums I can relate it to (from my collection) are Joe Zawinul's recent albums (particularly parts of 'Faces and Places') and some of Matt Garrison's stuff.

One of Talkbass's favourite guitarists, David Fiuczynski, plays on three tracks. (Tony and Fuze have played together quite a bit in recent years.)

Overall, it's a promising debut and worth checking out.

www.tonygrey.com

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Thought I would this a BUMP, given the interest in the current thread on Hiromi/Anthony Jackson.

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Wacky - I just took a look at his website, which is one of those that throws audio down the line at you (NOT my favourite webdesign technique). I had been listening to the Steve Lawson / Jez Carr duet album Conversations and it took my conscious brain a minute or two to realise that the wackiness I was hear was not just Steve doing something loopy with his DL-4 but a mix of the mellow track from the album and the sound from Tony's website! Mash em up!

Wulf