Tony In Philly with the Flathead Band at Conshy Corner Tavern 7/21/18

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Tony In Philly, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Tonight we return to the Conshy Corner Tavern, one of the rockingest "dive bars" in the Philadelphia area. We love playing here! The only problem is that tonight we are due for a seasonal rarity - a summer Nor'easter. In fact this is the second or third time this year we have gigged during one of these classic east coast type storms. On the minus side the storm can keep people home; on the positive side since it's now summer, people stay away from the Jersey Shore and they are more apt to look for something to do away from the coast on a night like this.

The storm has attracted quite a bit of press:
    Summer nor'easter headed towards the East Coast expected to slam area with heavy rain, thunderstorms | Daily Mail Online

So the evening starts out with the classic load in shot, this time with a little more real time action. Photo taken by Mrs. Tony In Philly.

TonyCar2.jpg

My drive starts by ascending Barren Hill, location of the lookout by the famed General Marquis de Lafayette during the Revolutionary War. The weather is starting to look a bit ominous, isn't it?

BarrenHill1.JPG

Here is a sign explaining what went down here back then, photo once again courtesy of Mrs. Tony In Philly. We were driving by it about an hour or so before my actual commute so she kindly offered to assist by taking this snapshot.
    BarrenHiilSign1.JPG

For anybody with more curiosity about this you can get the brief story here:
    Battle of Barren Hill - Wikipedia
    Here is the view while descending Barren Hill on, you guessed it, Barren Hill Road.

BarrenHill2.JPG

Next stop "Gigsville" a.k.a. Conshohocken, where I pull up right on time. Adjacent to the bar is an old Italian bakery which is open all hours, virtually every day.

ConshyBakery2.JPG

The Conshy Corner Tavern, corner of Hector and Jones!
    ConshyCornerSign.jpg

Here's the beer list. As always here, I find something. Tonight I mostly opt for Maryland's Heavy Seas Smooth Sail Summer Ale. At 4.5% ABV this is the perfect gig refresher/voice lubricant.

BeerList1.JPG

BeerList2.JPG

Since many TB Gig Reports feature the cuisine of the venues, I have decided to be no exception and prominently feature my pre-gig meal!

BeerAndPeanuts.jpg

OK, it's little after 9 PM and time to start playing. Fortunately, people are starting to brave the rain showers and steadily drift in.

HorseshoeBar.jpg

Here is the back room where there is an additional bar and pool table.
    BackRoom.jpg

Matt on mahogony Les Paul.
    Matt.JPG

Chris on sunburst Les Paul. I know, I know two Les Paul's. Bathing in mud is a good thing sometimes!
    Chris.JPG

Leo on drums with new and improved cowbell clamp. (see last Gig Report)
    Leo.JPG

Birthday Boy Bobby and his girlfriend are getting ready to smooch, but I am completely oblivious as I have been summoned by Dark Forces to perform for the "Village of the Damned". (Obscure '60's Brit Sci-Fi movie for you film buffs)
    TonyStare.JPG

Here is Allison, Chris' girlfriend, who has been extremely valuable in helping me compile material for my Gig Reports Thanks so much, Allison!
    Allison.jpg

And here are a few very brief video clips courtesy of Allison:

Here are some musician types who have made their way here tonight just by chance, and we had a great time mingling with them. Good vibes all around!
    OtherMusicians.jpg

Here is our good friend Mike with two female companions.

Mikey.JPG

Suddenly at midnight, and just before our third set the Nor'easter hits full gale force and the bar loses all power. Only a few scant emergency lights illuminate things. Just as this happens, Taylor, whom we haven't seen in over ten years, drops by to say hello. We recognize her right away as she does with us. That's the great thing about these kind of gigs. Nice to see you again, Taylor!

TaylorAndLeo.JPG

So, we are now mildly dejected because it's dark and we can't play anymore. "Wish now that he had brought acoustics..." Eventually this leads to an effort to tear down. At this point we have to use flashlights and cell phones to illuminate and locate everything during the tear down. it's bit challenging especially for the drums. How do you pack drum hardware in relative darkness? Anyway, we finally stumble though everything and leave around 1:30 AM.

So all in all, for a small bar, we did OK. We only got to play two sets but we held virtually everybody that was there. People were partying for at least another hour after the power went off.

Anyway, i pack up my share of the gear and drive home where my sweet love awaits me:

PilsnerUrquell.jpg

...and what a tall, slender Czech beauty she is.

Thanks for checking out my latest Gig Report. I hope that you have enjoyed it as much as I have putting it together!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    nixdad, dbase, Renaissance and 37 others like this.
  2. You guys sound good! Too bad the weather and power didn't cooperate, but stuff happens.

nixdad and Tony In Philly like this.
  3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Looks cozy! Great sound, held the crowd, saw old friends... That counts as success in my little corner of the world :D

-robert

nixdad, Sore Thumb and Tony In Philly like this.
  4. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Excellent report Tony. I love all the history of the area. :thumbsup:

Very cool looking venue. VERY cool that so many people came out despite the threat of storms of biblical proportions. :cool:

Now THAT'S a pre gig meal!! :D

I love that movie. First saw it in a theater when I was 10. Pretty creepy stuff for the time. :woot:

Losing power sucks. At least you got two sets in. Several years ago we just finished setting up in a packed coffee house when the power failed. Didn't get to play a note.

Sounded good. Left me wanting more. :)

nixdad, HolmeBass and Tony In Philly like this.
  5. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Great beer menu.

I see something there for a certain Talk Bass friend named Cliff ;)

Untitled 1.jpg

6. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi!

This is a terrific gig report. What!?!? You didn't have a Kuge? I've had a few of the other beers on that nice list.

I love all the history on the East coast. I love the green scenery. I do not love two Les Pauls in the band. ;) I'm sure you guys make it work just fine. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

7. Tony In Philly

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA

Hey Grant! Thanks for the comments! By the way, I really like how you and Cliff do your itemized responses to gig reports. I'm going to try it myself this time, but it may take a few a few tries to get it just right.

Yeah, the area kind if oozes with it. But as a former history major, I have found that if you dig deep enough, you'll find it's much the same everywhere. The funny thing about this area is that you have the very old and very new living side by side.

I've seen so many great food shots on the gig reports, that I had to do a bit of self-deprecatory satire there.

Funny thing - the interior kind of reminds of a place not too far from where you live; a place in Seal Beach CA. Same beer memorabilia all over the wall, etc. I remember they had lots of bands there, too.

I wish there were more music relates venues like this. I often wonder if the owner doesn't run it as a tax write off as I know the profit margin is paper thin. Haha - around the end of the night there were more than a few Noah's Ark references, but fortunately around here it seemed mostly limited to fallen trees and electrical outages.

Haha - I had to find some way to use those red eye shots that often happen in dark clubs!

I think stuff like that happens to all bands at least once or twice. I keep thinking back to that scene in "The Commitments" where the band blows the breaker switch.

Thanks, man! Now that I have some assistance, I may be able to expand on this a bit.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    McG, HolmeBass, Bunk McNulty and 2 others like this.
  8. Tony In Philly

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Thanks much, Cliff!

You know, I really wanted to sample a few more beers, but between directing this "production" and actually playing, I would have had to update my untappd.com app to keep score of all of the new beers I have sampled. At some point the entire edifice would have collapsed, I think! :roflmao:

I agree - two guitars with humbuckers can get really muddy if one is not careful. Maybe that's one reason why I have been using a single coil P-bass as of late. :)

BassCliff likes this.
  9. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Very cool. I see pics of the countryside and I get nostalgic. That part of the country is so beautiful.

A few things that struck me.

Headbands.... TWO headbands. Hoe ree CRAP batman we've went back in time...

I don't know how, it wasn't planned, but it seems I'm still philly ( or PA? ) to the bone because I bear more than a small resemblance to several guys in the run of pics.It should be noted I haven't had a foot in PA in more than 40 years.

:bassist:

10. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    This report had it all: Music, gals, history, craft beer, meteorological drama, travelogue of eastern PA.
    I love gig reports. Great job.

11. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Being originally from that area, I'm drooling all over the place... Great gig report!!

Spidey2112 and Tony In Philly like this.
  12. Crash 56

Crash 56

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, Wa.
    Loved the report! Reminds me of my time in the Stroudsburg area back in the 70's... I can still feel the humidity. Great memories!

Tony In Philly likes this.
  13. Taylor is beautiful. Looks like a great time!

14. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    Nice gig report. I love the venue. It looks like every dive bar I've been in, in the midwest. I can't believe those two bros were wearing headbands. Do they know the 80's are over, or is it just an east coast thing? :roflmao: Cute girls. That, I do like. And good beer too. Can't forget that. :thumbsup:

15. Bassed in NZ

Bassed in NZ ...in search of the impeccable groove...

Feb 22, 2008
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Nice one Tony - felt like I was on the road and in the room with you

16. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

good job! great report! and glad you were able to deal with the weather even if it made the tear out difficult. thanks for sharing your experience! :thumbsup:

Spidey2112 and Tony In Philly like this.
  17. Nice report and great song selections! Love it!

18. Goatee220

Goatee220 Bassist/Photographer/Goalie Gold Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Spring City, PA
    Love this - I'm born and raised in Roxborough and used to live at the bottom of Barren Hill Road (Center Street). I've driven past that bar a thousand times, didn't know they had bands. Glad to see you guys rocking it and people came out despite the weather.

19. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    Great report; I can see the influence of the West Coast Master is strong with this one.

The pre-gig food photo is worth the price of admission alone! But I'd like to see more pics of that mahogany LP, too!

eff-clef, Tony In Philly and McG like this.
  20. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    You sure live in some pretty country. Fun looking pub. Congrats!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021